Smoothie creations for when Playa Bowls gets too pricey

fruit
Photo by Julia Terranova |

As surely as spring weather will finally arrive, so shall basic pictures of smoothie bowls on the ‘gram. Shakespeare said that, I think. Smoothie bowls are a trend that hit our feeds a few years ago and haven’t seemed to slow down. If anything, the trend seems to be increasing. 

New Brunswick now has not just one, but two smoothie bowl locations where you can pay upward of $10 to have your smoothie poured into a bowl and topped with sliced fruit, nutella and honey. I’m here to tell you to save your money and make a much better quality version at home. All you need is a blender and some frozen fruit and you can make even more customizable versions of your favorite acai, pitaya or green smoothie bowls. Promise. 

First, a bit of smoothie bowl history. We’re using the term “smoothie bowl” because nowadays they’re made from all kinds of bases, but the most traditional smoothie bowl is the acai bowl. The acai berry comes from the acai palm tree, which is native to Brazil and other areas of South America. 

Acai bowls are a Brazilian dish made from frozen and mashed acai fruit, which is often sweetened and served with granola and sliced banana on top. More traditional, though, is a simple acai berry mash made of unsweetened acai, sometimes thinned with water. This side dish is an important dietary staple for many people who live around the Amazon. 

Acai bowls gradually became a popular snack and are often sold near the beach. They’re cool, refreshing and excellent for beating the summer heat. They can also be very healthy (when not covered in nutella). Soon acai bowls broadened into smoothie bowls, with bases such as pitaya (dragon fruit), “greens” and even oatmeal. They can be topped with any number of toppings, from fruit and granola to tapioca, honey, peanut butter or nutella. 

The easiest way to make a smoothie bowl at home is by using frozen fruit, yogurt (if you want) and either water, milk or juice. You can use any combination of fruits you like or even add vegetables for more nutrition. The only real difference between making a smoothie and making a smoothie bowl is that you should make your smoothie bowl base thicker so that the toppings stay on the top instead of sinking to the bottom. Our variation uses frozen banana, frozen blueberries and a bit of plain yogurt, but you can switch it up however you like. 

Blueberry Banana Smoothie Bowl Recipe

Ingredients:

For the smoothie bowl:

1 frozen banana

½ cup frozen blueberries

¼ cup greek yogurt

Honey, to taste

Milk or water to thin, as needed 

For the toppings:

Any fruits you like, cut into bite sized pieces

Granola 

Honey 

Directions:

First, slice up whatever fruit you want to use for the topping.

Next, blend together the frozen banana, blueberries and greek yogurt. If it is too thick for your blender, add a bit of milk or water, but not too much (otherwise the toppings won’t stay on top). Taste and add honey as needed. 

Finally, top with sliced fruit, granola and a drizzle of honey. Enjoy. 

Julia Terranova