October 22, 2018 | ° F

FROM THE EDITOR'S DESK: Experience is worth more than grades

As yet another year comes to a close and with the summer being right around the corner, students at Rutgers are probably now, more than ever, thinking about their futures and what they want to do with the rest of their lives. For many, the beginning of the rest of their lives may start this summer. Some may have prestigious internships with their dream firms lined up, some may have summer jobs in their hometowns waiting for them and others may still be figuring out what field they want to enter. And while each person has a unique path depending upon the future career they envision for themselves, there is a common theme in those that are trying to be as successful as they can: Experience is necessary.

While education is clearly the most important aspect of attending a university, the mistake that many people make in their four or more years at college is that they consider it to be the only aspect of their time there. And though grades are important and should not be considered as completely irrelevant, the entire weight of your college career should not rest on your GPA. When you want to move forward with your life and your career and find yourself competing for a position with other candidates, it is very likely that you find your grades are on-par with your competitors. So how do you differentiate yourself between your 4.0 and the other five 4.0's sitting in the office waiting for an interview? The answer is in your experience. 

When recruiters look at your résumé, they want to see someone who has not spent four years with their nose buried in books. They want to see someone who has had the discipline to get work done well in the time that they were in college, but has also balanced going to club meetings, taking part in social events and gaining new skills. But the securing of a job should not be your only motivation to try and become as well-rounded in your college years as possible. College is a time where society gives you the opportunity to spend four years of your early adulthood trying to figure out who you are as freely as you want to be. If you decide that your major is not something you truly want to pursue, you have the ability to change it. You have the chance to try out being part of different organizations and seeing if you fit in well. College is the time where you might discover that something you thought you would always love might not be part of the right path for you. But this is not something you will discover if you spend the entirety of your time here worrying about one not-so-good grade or eliminating all the distractions in your life for the sake of a stellar GPA. Your GPA is something that, although will help you move on to other schools and be considered for certain programs, will be forgotten in later years of your life. 

Khaula Saad is the Editor in Chief of The Daily Targum. 

Khaula Saad