Go against the grain with cauliflower-based recipes

With grain-free bagels and cauliflower-crust pizzas popping up in trendy, metropolitan areas, going grainless is at the forefront of food trends. This is despite the fact that a not-so-secret ingredient in many of the godliest dishes out there is grains. Not everyone can eat them for health reasons, though, nor does everyone want to — processed wheat foods are known to snatch both energy and a radiant complexion.

A good substitute for the delicious but detrimental staple is the often neglected cauliflower. It may not be your first, second or even third favorite veggie, but it’s packed with nutritional power: vitamins and Omega-3 fats, anti-inflammatory properties and more. Plus, it’s tasty in its own right. So here are some grainless, cauliflower-loaded recipes to follow.

Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Casserole

It’s hard to find someone who doesn’t appreciate a gooey bowl of mac and cheese. With the pasta and cheese, it’s carby, savory and just plain good. But who said the macaroni makes the dish? The Food Network is famous for coming through with unbeatable recipes, and it did not disappoint with this faux mac and cheese recipe courtesy of George Stella, mac-free.

Prep time: 15 minutes 

Cook time: 20 minute

Total time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
Vegetable oil spray
1 cup heavy cream
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.
  2. Spray an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
  3. Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, approximately 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Put the cauliflower in the baking dish, set aside.
  4. Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower and stir. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, approximately 15 minutes.
  5. Enjoy!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

It’s no secret that everyone loves pizza, even those who choose to adopt a grainless lifestyle. And with just cauliflower, plus a few other key ingredients, you can get “a-pizza” the action with this Food Network gem and achieve the perfect flourless crust, toppings not included.

Total time: 50 minutes

Ingredients:

1 head cauliflower, stalk removed
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Break the cauliflower into florets and pulse in a food processor until fine, steam in a steamer basket, drain well and let cool. 
  3. In a bowl, combine the cauliflower with the mozzarella, Parmesan, oregano, salt, garlic powder and eggs. Transfer to the center of the baking sheet and spread into a circle, resembling a pizza crust, bake for 20 minutes.
  4. Add toppings of your choice (you can’t go wrong with a simple margherita pizza!) and bake for an additional 10 minutes. 
  5. Enjoy!

Abigail Lyon