Impress future employers with thoughtful interview questions

Whether it’s your dream internship, or rather a “big girl job” you will inevitably encounter an interview. When you find yourself in this seemingly scary situation, it’s important to be prepared for it. This means having an idea of (and strong answer for) each question you may be asked, from the simplest to the toughest, generally questions regarding your skills and achievements as they relate to the company. And when the interviewer gives you the opportunity, you are expected to ask impressive follow-up questions.

That’s right, you should be prepared to ask your interviewer good questions, unlike, “Are you going to hire me?” and “When will I be promoted?” Toppled upon the ever-present stress of doing well in an interview, deciding on the greatest questions can be a bit daunting. But it’s best to see it as a way to assess if the job or internship is suitable for you. So, here’s just a few impressive questions you can adopt for your next interview.

What does the job entail, day-to-day?

If your interviewer hasn’t already detailed this for you, this question gets to the core of what you’re perhaps signing yourself up for. You will want to know beforehand what you’ll be doing daily if you clinch the job and decide to accept. What you hear in response to this could decide if you actually want to be hired.

What are a few challenges the person you hire for this position may face?

If you want to know what crucial tidbits could be missing from the job description, ask this one. You can find out about the company’s culture this way, too. 

How will you measure the success of the person you hire for this position?

This is a great question to ask, because it uncovers a key aspects you should know: what does it take to do well in this job, and what is your potential manager looking for. If the company decides to hire you, you’re already on your way to doing well, since you will know how. 

This isn’t a question itself, but you should ask the interviewer what you would like to know about the position, the company and its prospects, within reason, of course. If you can’t think of anything, you probably have to think more about the job and anything that could impact you in it. You want to make sure the job is a good fit. 

Luckily, there are many opportunities at Rutgers, like Career Services, to prepare you for the job application process and potential interviews. 

Abigail Lyon