Treat yourself to superfoods for Meatless Monday

Whether you’re vegetarian or not, finding meatless recipe substitutes for the food that you love is a great way to spice up your daily food routine. Not only will it make eating veggie-based food more enjoyable, but you may even benefit from the amount of health options that come with making the change. Check out these great recipes that are not only delicious, but filled with the essential nutrients that are needed daily. 

Quinoa Sweet Potato Burgers

Sweet potatoes have many health benefits like boosting immunity, regulating digestion and controlling diabetes to name a few — it’s no wonder why it’s former First Lady Michelle Obama’s favorite vegetable! Quinoa, which is referred to as a “superfood,” is also jam-packed with nutrients and not only is it healthier than grained rice, but it is high in antioxidants, gluten free and has a low glycemic index, which is good for blood sugar control.

These two combined make for the perfect meat substitute recipe — courtesy of Fit Foodie Finds — that will not only give you the nutrients you need, but also a savory and delectable taste that one would typically get from a burger made out of meat. 

Prep time: 20 minutes 

Cool time: 60 minutes 

Total time: 1 hour and 20 minutes 

Ingredients:

2 cups roasted sweet potato, mashed (3-4 medium sweet potatoes)

1 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed 

½ cup purple onion, diced 

2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked) 

2 tablespoons jalapeño, finely diced 

⅓ cup roasted/unsalted sunflower seeds 

¼ cup + 2 tablespoons oat flour 

1 large egg 

1 tablespoon ground cumin 

2 teaspoons garlic powder 

¼ teaspoon sea salt 

Olive oil as needed 

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with coconut oil cooking spray. Then, cut sweet potatoes in half, drizzle with olive oil and poke them with a fork. Stick them in the oven skin-side down for 50-60 minutes. 
  2. Mix the rest of your ingredients in a large bowl while sweet potatoes are roasting. 
  3. When finished, let sweet potatoes cool for approximately 10 minutes. Then, use a spoon to spoon out flesh. Mash in a bowl. Add 2 cups of mashed sweet potato to your mixture and thoroughly combine. 
  4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a baking sheet with coconut oil cooking spray. 
  5. To create burger patties, use ½ cup scoop. Wet your hands to form 1-inch burger patties and place on the pan. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes on each side (30 minutes total)
  6. When burgers are done baking, heat about a teaspoon of olive oil on a non stick skillet over low/medium heat. 
  7. Place patties in the fry pan for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. 
  8. When burgers are done, add toppings.

Tofu Crumble Tacos:

Tofu is a great meat substitute if you’re looking to spice up your daily food routine. It's a complete dietary source of protein, which means it provides all the essential amino acids needed in the diet. Studies show that high-based soy products also helps those with breast cancer and osteoporosis. This quick and easy recipe — courtesy of Connoisseurus Veg — is a great spin on a comfort food that almost everyone enjoys. 

Prep time: 5 minutes 

Cool time: 10 minutes 

Total time: 15 minutes 

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons of olive oil 

1 medium onion, diced 

3 garlic cloves, minced 

1 14 ounce package extra firm tofu, frozen and thawed

1 bell pepper, any color, diced

¼ cup tomato sauce 

2 tablespoons soy sauce 

2 tablespoons hot sauce of choice

2 tablespoons of ground cumin 

1 tablespoon of paprika 

1 teaspoon of ancho chili powder 

½ teaspoon of ground black pepper

4 taco shells or small tortillas, corn or flour 

Lettuce, tomato, salsa, avocado and your choice of taco toppings 

Instructions:

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another minute, until very fragrant.
  2. Crumble the tofu into the skillet, keeping it as chunky as you like. Cook for approximately 2 minutes, or until it begins to brown. Since the tofu is frozen be careful, as it tends to burn quicker. Add the bell pepper to the skillet and cook approximately 2 minutes more, until it begins to get tender. Add the tomato sauce, soy sauce, hot sauce and spices to the skillet, and continue to cook just until everything is well mixed and the liquid dries up just a bit, approximately 2 minutes, adding a bit of water to the skillet if it dries too much.
  3. Divide the mixture into taco shells and top with toppings of choice.
  4. Enjoy! 

Almier McCoy