Music to our ears: this week's best tunes

Music is essential for anyone when you’re looking to get away from the hardships of day-to-day life. Even more so for college students, as it’s a great way to place your focus on something other than just how much you need on your final exam in order to pass that “Easy A” class. If you love listening to all types of music, then you’ll enjoy this list of various artists that you may or may not have already heard of.

Sabrina Claudio - "Don’t Let Me Down" Ft. Khalid

This is the first release in 2018 from the R&B newcomer since the 2017 release of her debut EP "About Time." This time around the sultry songstress is teaming up with grammy-nominated singer Khalid. The song opens up with the soft whisper of Claudio asking her lover the burning question that her heart has been yearning for an answer: “Do you feel me here giving you love?” She asks over the dance-hall inspired percussion beat that is reminiscent of a Jamaican beach dance party. The soft whistle and vulnerability in her voice, although sexy, has an innocence that one would expect when you’re in love. The duet proceeds with Khalid mirroring Claudio’s vulnerability, the two are the perfect match. It's evident that the two want their lovers to meet them halfway in the relationship but are not sure if this is the case. “‘Cause love is a waste of time if you and I don’t do this right,” the two sing over the upbeat tempo. Picking up right where she left off last year, this is just a taste of  what she has in store for us in the upcoming year. 

Cardi B - “Be Careful”

2018 is the year of Cardi B. The Bronx-native rapper strips down from her raunchy and sexual style on her latest single “Be Careful” to warn her man just how fragile her heart is after his endless cheating with different women. “My heart is like a package with a fragile label on it, be careful with me,” she said on the track set to release on her debut LP “Invasion of Privacy,” out tomorrow. "Be Careful" is a song for all of those women who continuously give their all to a man who can’t seem to settle down. Throughout the song, it's clear that she's frustrated as she sings her aggression out softly over the hard beat. By the end of the song, she finds a sense of freedom when she discovers that if she did what he does that it would be twice as better. 

David Guetta & Sia - "Flames"

The perfect song to get you through the day, it seems as if "Flames" was made for college students who may feel like giving up when the school work and exams get tough. “Just keep moving, oh look within for the strength today,” the songstress sings. This is the fourth collaboration from David Guetta and Sia, following hit songs like “Bang my Head” and “Titanium.” The song starts off with a guitar and snare drums, and then gradually builds to what sounds like an 80s electronic  beat. The "Chandelier" singer's raspy and unique voice has a sense of reassurance as she says “Don’t stop, tomorrow’s another day. Don’t stop, tomorrow you’ll feel no pain.” This is the perfect ballad for anyone who has any doubts or fears about things going on in their life. 

James Bay - “Us"

If you're someone who enjoys finding new artists to add to your music playlist, then you’ll want to check out music by James Bay. The singer-songwriter releases his gospel-inspired ballad “Us” on his sophomore album "Electric Light," out in May. Just like Claudio’s voice in “Don’t Let Me Down,” Bay’s voice has so much soul and vulnerability in it as he struggles to find the answer to what many spend a lifetime searching for — how to fill the void from the pain endured during a breakup. “So, tell me how to be in this world. Tell me how to breathe in and feel no hurt.” His voice captivates the essence of lovers all over who yearn for certain answers that they may never receive.

The Weeknd - “My Dear Melancholy”

The king of the fall is back with his new release, "My Dear Melancholy," his first album release since 2016 when he dropped “Starboy.” After taking over the pop charts with two consecutive multi-platinum  No. 1 albums, The Weeknd returns to his R&B roots. Although only composed of six songs, "My Dear Melancholy" takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions that could only come from The Weeknd. Romantically the past year has been a rather interesting one for the artist, who previously dated Selena Gomez and Bella Hadid. The first track is said to be an ode to ex Gomez as he cries out for someone in “Call out my Name.” He says, “I said I didn’t feel nothing, baby, but I lied. I almost cut a piece of myself for your life,” with regret in his voice over a slow tempo. His mellow tone over the dark, high-def electro-soul beat continues as he takes us to “Wasted Times,” which is said to be about old-flame Bella Hadid. “Wasted times I spent with someone else. She wasn’t even half of you.” Each song will have you at the edge of your seat and with only six songs this is surely the only thing that will be on your mind for the next month. 

Almier McCoy