Wine 'n' dine friends with summer's favorite pink drink

unnamed-11
Photo by Abigail Lyon |

When the heat of warm weather begins to bake shoulders and awaken off-campus dages, everyone’s favorite pink tide follows. That’s rosé season. The wine, ranging in hue from blush to paradise pink, is as summer-y as white skinny jeans and romantic sunset grill outs, and just so chic. Alone, it is the perfect pairing for soirées with cheese boards and conversation, or a picnic with a lover and chocolate-covered fruit. But when made into a mixed drink, it can elevate any evening.

Since the wine can be dry, sweet and even sparkling, the options are endless. You can concoct something made from your favorite cocktail ingredients, like gin, lime juice, frozen watermelon chunks and simple syrup galore. There is no doubt that with rosé’s versatility, the cocktail you create is bound to fit your personal tastes.

Rosé, Gin & Campari Cocktail

To commence your journey to mixology mastery, try this Tasting Table featured drink. It is a refreshing favorite slung up by bar manager Tracy Jenkins at Nicky's Coal Fired in Nashville, Tennessee. To impress your housemates or friends, double up the recipe.

Yield: 1 cocktail

Total time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

1½ ounces dry gin (or vodka)

½ ounce Campari

½ ounce honey

¾ ounce fresh lemon juice

½ ounce fresh orange juice

1 muddled strawberry

Ice

Your favorite sparkling rosé

Orange slice, for garnish

Instructions:

1. Add the gin, Campari, honey, lemon juice, orange juice and strawberry to a cocktail shaker with ice

2. Shake and pour into a glass over fresh ice and top with sparkling rosé

3. Garnish with the orange slice and serve

4. Drink up!

Frosé

If you think beverages are best when icy — think frozen margaritas, lemonades and, of course, frappuccinos — frozé is for you. The drink, found on Bon Appétit, screams elegant, refreshing and rooftop-friendly. Try it for your next small springtime gathering. The best part is you can freeze the rosé up to one week in advance.

Yield: 4-6 cocktails

Total time: 7 hours

Ingredients:

1 750 milliliter bottle hearty, bold rosé (such as a Pinot Noir or Merlot rosé)

½ cup sugar

8 ounces strawberries, hulled, quartered

2½ ounces fresh lemon juice

Instructions:

1. Pour rosé into a 13x9 pan and freeze until almost solid (it won't completely solidify due to the alcohol), at least 6 hours

2. Meanwhile, bring sugar and ½ cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves, approximately 3 minutes. Add strawberries, remove from heat and let sit 30 minutes to infuse syrup with strawberry flavor. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl (do not press on solids). Cover and chill until cold, approximately 30 minutes

3. Scrape rosé into a blender. Add lemon juice, 3½ ounces strawberry syrup and 1 cup crushed ice and purée until smooth. Transfer blender jar to freezer and freeze until frosé is thickened (aim for milkshake consistency), 25–35 minutes

4. Blend again until frosé is slushy, divide among glasses

Whether it’s frosé or a standard cocktail, with these recipes, you are steps away from living la vie en rose (or rosé) à la Édith Piaf.

Abigail Lyon