Rutgers alumna intersects law degree with career in the NFL

Sadowitz-rutgers.edu
Photo by Rutgers.edu |

After studying journalism at Rutgers, Cassie Sadowitz took to the California Western School of Law in San Diego and later melded her interests in the law and app development to create her own company. It led her to a career with the NFL.

Cassie Sadowitz is a woman who does it all. 

The Rutgers 2009 summa cum laude alumna is a lawyer, the co-CEO of a tech company with her husband and a general counsel in the NFL, according to Rutgers Today

She draws on her versatile background as a strength in her work with the Jacksonville Jaguars. The alumna said that when she wears the team's gear, people often mistake her as a cheerleader for the team, when in fact, she does much more. 

According to Rutgers Today, Sadowitz does everything from writing up contract extensions for coaches and players, to drafting contracts with airlines that fly the team to away games and reviewing the latest federal and employment regulations to assure the NFL stays up, running and out of legal trouble.

The 29-year-old said she understands the uniqueness of being a young woman in the field. 

“The fact that I am one of the youngest general counsel in the NFL is intriguing to people,” said Sadowitz, who graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism and history/political science. “There’s a notion that general counsel are usually middle-aged men, so typically if people find out that’s my role, they’re confused. And that’s awesome.”

This year, the Jaguars claimed their first division title since 1999 and made the playoffs for the first time since the 2007 season. 

Their loss to the New England Patriots blocked their road to the Super Bowl, and Sadowitz recalled it being a nerve-wracking moment in the last few minutes of the game. 

“As the clock was running down, I thought we could actually take it to the next level, but I tried to temper my enthusiasm,” she said in the article. 

Sadowitz said the loss was disheartening but she was able to get a jump start on the team’s next adventure. The Jaguars will take her across the pond to London where they will face Super Bowl champions, the Philadelphia Eagles, at Wembley Stadium next season. 

“I love watching the sport evolve on the global stage," Sadowitz said. "To be able to be part of growing the game overseas has been an incredible experience."

She said that the path to her current job has been an unconventional one. The School of Arts and Sciences alumna interned with Fox News and CNN during her undergraduate studies at Rutgers, but her story took a turn when she attended the California Western School of Law in San Diego. Although Sadowitz had no interest in traditional law or a desire to litigate and join an established firm, she used her law degree to fuel her digital junkie side. 

Sadowitz combined her law and web interests to establish Spysie Tech, a business she now co-owns with her husband. The startup drafts and negotiates transactions for web and app development, programming, search-engine optimization and intellectual property licenses. 

When the Florida native was offered a job with the NFL as deputy general counsel, Sadowitz said she knew it would be the intersection of all her passions that would fuse together and create an exciting career. 

“There’s actually a lot of overlap among the disciplines," she said. "For me, as a lawyer, it’s helpful to have a fresh perspective on how the law intersects with an ever-evolving area of my business."

Erica D'Costa

Erica D'Costa is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in business administration and political science. She is an Associate News Editor @The Daily Targum.