Senior goalie Max Edelmann reflects on Rutgers career

p11-edelman-garrett-2.18
Photo by Garrett Steffe |

Coming out of a small public high school in Middletown, Maryland, Max Edelmann didn’t have any Division I lacrosse opportunities. 

Some of his friends were taking the junior college route, an easy way to get in-state tuition and play tougher competition on the lacrosse field, so that’s what he did.

After sitting his first year at the Community College of Baltimore County, Edelmann starred in between the pipes the following year, earning NJCAA All-America honors as well as being named to the Maryland All-JUCO first team.

Soon after, he found himself at Rutgers with a golden opportunity to win the starting goalie job. Edelmann hit the ground running, winning that job over incumbent starter Kris Alleyne for the 2016 season.

“(JUCO) was a lot of good experience dealing with coaches as well as (a) level of competition that got me prepared to transition into a real school right after that,” Edelmann said.

But in just the third game of his career, while making a save in the third quarter, Edelmann made an awkward move and wound up tearing core muscles and his aductor. He would not play again that year.

Instead, he watched then-senior Alleyne finish the season, with Alleyne having a strong campaign and finishing fifth all-time in program history with 545 saves.

“It was a good learning experience. I learned a lot from Kris Alleyne,” Edelmann said of the 2016 season. “He was obviously one of the best goalies to come through Rutgers. Just sitting back and learning through his technique as well as his leadership as a senior on the team."

Edelmann said he gained a lot of exposure to the way Alleyne went about not only being an athlete, but about how he carried himself on and off the field. 

And now as Edelmann’s career comes to a close just two years later, he reflected on what he will remember most about his time on the Banks.

“I didn’t know anyone coming in. Coming up here and moving into a house with seven guys I didn’t know and immediately becoming best friends with them was one of those nostalgic moments that I’m gonna remember for the rest of my life. I can’t take it for granted,” he said.

On the field, he has been a steady force in the net, often coming up with big plays late in the game to preserve close victories. 

Edelmann is part of a defense that starts three seniors, and he said having that familiarity around him has helped him perform better.

“It’s good to see whenever I look up in the game and I see a senior next to me that I’ve known for the past three years and grown with for the past three years,” he said. “It gives me confidence in the game cause I know that they’re gonna do their job and they hold me accountable to do mine … We have a lot of good talent, a lot of good players and we have a lot of good leadership with our seniors and we take pride in that.”

Head coach Brian Brecht spoke on the importance of having a veteran presence like Edelmann with a crucial four-game stretch coming up.

He also noted that his better players are usually the better students, pointing out Edelmann’s 3.7 GPA to go along with his on-field accolades, such as his Second Team All-Big Ten honor a season ago.

“When you’re coming down the home stretch and you’re playing big league games in the month of April, you want a senior who’s cool and calm and certainly very focused with the task at hand,” Brecht said. “He’s another great ambassador that we have representing Rutgers lacrosse.”

For updates on the Rutgers men's lacrosse team, follow @GriffinWhitmer and @TargumSports on Twitter.

Griffin Whitmer