August 15, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers competes in 2 places at once

p11-wiley-dt-4.16

The Rutgers men’s track and field team split up its squad for this past weekend to compete at the Larry Ellis Invitational in Princeton, New Jersey and the Virginia Challenge in Charlottesville, Virginia from April 20-21.

At the Virginia Challenge, freshman Malachi Davis had his breakout meet of the outdoor season as he launched a personal best jump of 15.35 meters (50’ 4.5”) on his way to first place in the triple jump. Along with his win in the triple jump, Davis added a seventh-place finish in the long jump, setting a mark of 6.80 meters (22’ 3.75”) to tie with junior Jairus Paul.

Also representing the Scarlet Knights in the triple jump was sophomore Tobi Tella, coming in third with a jump of 15.23 meters (49’ 2.5”).

In the 400 meter, junior Izaiah Brown clocked a time of 47.26 for fourth place while graduate student Jermaine Griffith crossed the line in sixth with a time of 47.51. 

A specialist in the 400-meter hurdles, freshman Boaz Madeus ran to third in a time of 52.67 in the hurdle event.

On the field, sophomore Michael Thomas notched another top-three finish for Rutgers in the javelin throw with a mark of 60.21 meters (197’ 6”). Redshirt sophomore Greg Harnett produced a slightly lower result of 60.19 meters (197’ 6”) for a seventh-place finish in the javelin throw invite.

After consistently throwing more than the 71-meter mark, graduate student Rudy Winkler threw just below that distance with a 70.14-meter (230’ 1”) hammer throw to add another fourth-place finish for the Knights.

The 4x400 relay team ran to second place in a time of 3:08.36 with relay runs from junior Zo Aris, Griffith, Madeus and Brown.

Sophomores Jason Schweizer and Cole Pschunder were the two lone athletes representing Rutgers on the first day of the Larry Ellis Invitational. In the 800 meter, Schweizer finished in a time of 1:56.43 while Pschunder ran a 3:58.45 in the 1,500 meter.

The following day, a squad of four Knights completed the 1,500 meter with junior Luke Wiley coming in third with a time of 3:55.95. Behind Wiley was freshman Patrick Walsh (4:00.55), junior Conor Murphy (4:07.92) and senior Trent Brinkofski (4:10.85).

Sophomore Sean Martinek, classmate Jared Skalski and freshman Eric Barnes ran the 800 meter on the second day of competition in Princeton with respective times of 1:54.27, 1:55.67 and 1:57.62.

Rutgers is preparing to peak at the Big Ten Outdoor Championships in the middle of May and will put on its last performances at the Penn Relays in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from April 26-28. 

For updates on the Rutgers men's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba