Rutgers to compete in Philadelphia over weekend

trackandfield-twitter
Photo by Twitter |

Philadelphia will be the competition ground for the Rutgers men’s track and field team over the next three days as the historic Penn Relays bring together some of the greatest track and field athletes from across the globe. 

Established in 1895, the Penn Relays is the oldest track and field meet in the nation. There are over 800 events including athletes in high school, college, masters or other track and field programs. Among college teams, the Scarlet Knights will face Big Ten opponents such as Indiana, Michigan, Maryland and Penn State.

Last year’s Penn Relays saw senior Chris Mirabelli win the javelin throw, setting a new school record of 76.67 meters (251’ 6”) in the process. Mirabelli became the first Rutgers athlete to win an individual event at the Penn Relays since 2013 discus winner and alumnus James Plummer. 

Having not performed this outdoor season, Mirabelli will not be there to defend his javelin title. But the javelin trio of senior Matthew Krezmer and sophomores Michael Thomas and Greg Harnett could have a shot at the title.

Additionally, alumni Kyle Holder and Brendan Jaeger, alongside current junior Izaiah Brown and sophomore Alanzo Aris, ran to eighth last year in the 4x400-meter relay with a time of 3:10.24. 

This past weekend, the Knights ran a time of 3:08.36 at the Virginia Challenge and could very well run away with the relay title if all the runners are competing in good condition. In its history competing at the Penn Relays, Rutgers has never won a relay title, but that could all change this weekend.

Last time out, the Knights competed at the Virginia Challenge in Charlottesville, Virginia and the Larry Ellis Invitational in Princeton, New Jersey. 

Freshman Malachi Davis hit his mark at the Virginia Challenge when he clinched the triple jump title in a personal best jump of 15.35 meters (50’ 4.5”). Davis also leaped 6.80 meters (22’ 3.75”) in the long jump for a seventh-place tie with junior Jairus Paul.

Thomas, sophomore Tobi Tella and freshman Boaz Madeus notched third place finishes in each of their events. Tella finished behind Davis in the triple jump with a leap of 15.23 meters (49’ 2.5”). 

In the javelin throw, Thomas set a mark of 60.21 meters (197’ 6”) while Madeus competed in the 400-meter hurdles, crossing the line for a time of 52.67 seconds.

In the hammer throw, graduate student Rudy Winkler placed fourth with a throw of 70.41 meters (230’ 1”). Winkler is ranked first going into the Penn Relays in this event and could come out with the hammer throw title.

At the Larry Ellis Invitational, junior Luke Wiley ran to third in the 1,500 meter with a time of 3:55.95. Running in behind Wiley was freshman Patrick Walsh (4:00.55), junior Conor Murphy (4:07.92) and senior Trent Brinkofski (4:10.85).

Rutgers will compete at the Penn Relays from April 26-28 before taking a two-week hiatus in preparation for the Big Ten Outdoor Championships in Bloomington, Indiana.

For updates on the Rutgers men’s track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba