Winkler, Paul highlight Rutgers performance at Invite

paul-jeff-4.17

Another day, another record for the Rutgers men’s track and field team at the Sam Howell Invitational this past weekend. Hosted by Princeton University, the Scarlet Knights put on dominant performances of multiple personal bests and showed why Rutgers is the State University of New Jersey.

Graduate student Rudy Winkler bettered his school hammer throw record from last week, throwing 72.02 meters (236’) for first place and replacing the 71.76 meter (235’ 5”) throw from the Florida Relays. 

Winkler was most recently named the Big Ten Field Athlete of the Week for his performance in Florida and his new mark keeps him in first position in the Big Ten conference. In the NCAA, Winkler settles into fifth with LSU freshman Jake Norris atop the rankings with a throw of 79.55 meters (261’).

In the long jump, junior Jairus Paul and sophomore Patrick Warren went 1-2 in personal best jumps and rank them within the top six of the Big Ten. 

Paul launched 7.40 meters (24’ 3.5”) to claim the event title and put him third in the conference. Following behind Paul was Warren, setting a mark of 7.26 meters (23’ 10”) for sixth in the Big Ten. 

Freshman Malachi Davis has been jumping around different events and last competed in the triple jump and 200-meter events. On the weekend, Davis notched a sixth-place finish for his first long jump event with a leap of 6.93 meters (22’ 9”).

Adding to the personal bests for the Knights, junior John Mooers captured the runner-up spot in the discus throw with a PR of 53.65 meters (176’).

On the track, freshman Boaz Madeus ran his first collegiate outdoor 400-meter race to add another second-place finish for Rutgers with a time of 48.31 in the 400 meter. Known for the 400-meter hurdles and 500- and 600-meter events in the indoor season, Madeus’s outdoor 400-meter time is significantly better than his indoor time of 48.90 and bodes well for the hurdler.

In the 800 meter, the pack of Knights competed again alongside each other, where sophomore Jason Schweizer and classmate Jared Skalski paced slightly faster than their teammates to better their times from last weekend. Schweizer ran to eighth in a time of 1:54.45, while Skalski finished in the top half of the runners. 

In almost double the distance, senior Luke Wiley and freshman Patrick Walsh ran within the top half of the field in the 1500 meter, producing respective times of 3:59.49 and 3:59.75.

The underclassmen played a crucial role in the solid performance at Big Tens in the indoor season, but this time around, the outdoor season has shown a good mix of all classes stepping up to the plate. With the addition of much more events in the outdoor season, a lot of the upperclassmen have started to shine and have led the way for the underclassmen to follow. 

Up next, Rutgers will host the 2018 Outdoor Metropolitan Championships at the Bauer Track and Field Complex from April 13-14, marking the competition a month out from the Big Ten outdoor championships.

For updates on the Rutgers men's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba