Rutgers splits up team for 2 events this weekend

p11-tella-jeff-4.17

Warm weather will sweep New Jersey this weekend as the Rutgers men’s track and field team will host the 2018 Outdoor Metropolitan Championships at the Bauer Track and Field Complex in Piscataway. 

The Scarlet Knights will also send a squad down to Knoxville, Tennessee for the Tennessee Relays this weekend. Rutgers has not shied away from the national rankings and has only gotten better as the season continues.

Last weekend, the Knights put on stellar performances at the Sam Howell Invitational hosted by Princeton University.

Graduate student Rudy Winkler reset his hammer throw record after breaking the program record a week prior with a mark of 72.02 meters (236’) for the event title and the leading rank in the Big Ten conference. Fans will get to see Winkler perform at home for the first time on Friday for the Metropolitan Championships.

Junior Jairus Paul and sophomore Patrick Warren took the top two spots in personal-best long jumps with 7.40 meters (24’ 3.5”) and 7.26 meters (23’ 10”), respectively. In the Big Ten, Paul and Warren sit comfortably in third and sixth position.

Freshman Boaz Madeus and junior John Mooers logged runner-up finishes on and off the track. Mooers threw a personal-best mark of 53.65 meters (176’) in the discus throw while Madeus ran the 400 meter in a time of 48.31.

Rutgers hosted last year’s championships and captured the team title in record fashion. Alumnus Emeka Eze and senior Chris Mirabelli set new school records in the triple jump and javelin throw, respectively.

Eze jumped 15.92 meters (52’ 2.75”) in the triple jump to seal the event title while also winning the long jump with a mark of 7.81 meters (25’ 7.25”) to become the second best all-time in program history.

In the javelin throw, Mirabelli recorded a mark of 76.20 meters (250’) to add another event win for the Knights, surpassing alumnus Chris Sagnella’s program record of 74.63 meters (244’ 10”) set in 1996.

Junior Izaiah Brown claimed two individual event titles in the 200 meter (21.41) and 400 meter (47.33) in addition to being a member of Rutgers' winning 4x100-meter and 4x400-meter relays.

Other event winners were sophomore Perry Christie in the high jump, alumnus Kyle Holder in the 400-meter hurdles and senior Alexander Livernois in the 1,000 meter.

Runner-up finishes came from sophomore Tobi Tella in the long jump, sophomore Jason Campbell in the discus throw, senior Thomas Carr in the javelin throw, senior Brendan Jaeger in the 800 meter and junior Dominick Munson in the 1,500 meter.

Sneaking into third place was Paul in the triple jump, junior Jordan Lorenzo in the high jump and junior Conor Murphy in the 5,000 meter.

The Knights are performing at the Outdoor Metropolitan Championships and the Tennesee Relays from April 13-14, in preparation for the Big Ten Outdoor Championships in Bloomington, Indiana just one month away.

For updates on the Rutgers men’s track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba