Rutgers swept by Northwestern

Knights losing streak climbs to 11

p15-bowman-casey
Photo by Casey Ambrosio |

After a three-game weekend series against Northwestern, the Rutgers softball team has now lost 11 straight games dating back to April 1. The Scarlet Knights lost by scores of 15-1 (5 innings), 10-5 and 8-7, and their record now stands at 17-26. 

In game one of the series, junior pitcher Whitney Jones took to the circle for Rutgers. She lasted only one inning, allowing 3 earned runs on four hits. The second inning was a disastrous one, as sophomore pitcher Cambria Keefer came in for relief. 

Keefer struggled mightily, allowing the Widlcats to rattle off eight hits in the inning, scoring 10 runs. Northwestern outfielder Sabrina Rabin was 4-4 on the day with a triple and home run, as well as scoring 3 runs and having three RBI’s. The Wildcats hit 4 home runs in the rout. 

The Knights’ lone run in the game came from sophomore pinch hitter Anyssa Iliopoulos, who hit a solo home run in the bottom of the fifth inning. It was Iliopoulos’s second pinch hit home run this season, and she improved her pinch hitting mark to 3-9 on the season. 

Game two was certainly closer, but still ended in a loss for Rutgers, dropping the game 10-5 after a seventh-inning meltdown. Heading into the top of the seventh inning, the Knights led Northwestern 5-3. 

In the seventh inning, the Wildcats scored 7 runs on five walks, four hits and an error. Freshman pitcher Taryn Collins received the loss in the game, allowing 4 runs in one and two-thirds innings pitched. 

Freshman second baseman Myah Moy had a solid day at the plate, going 2-4 with a run scored and three RBI’s. She also hit a 2-run home run in the fifth inning. 

Junior shortstop Jess Hughes was 1-3 on the day with 2 runs scored. 

In the third and final game of the series, Rutgers suffered yet another tremendous meltdown in the seventh inning. This time, it squandered a 7-1 lead in the seventh and lost the game 8-7. 

Jones started the game for the Knights and pitched very well, allowing 1 earned run in five innings of work. She was relieved by freshman Taylor Manno who pitched a flawless sixth inning before being hit around in the seventh. Manno was replaced by Collins, who earned the loss in the game. 

Sophomore right fielder Nicole Bowman had a phenomenal game, going 3-3 at the plate with 2 solo home runs and four RBI’s total. 

In the top of the seventh inning, Northwestern started the inning off by hitting 4 consecutive solo home runs. After loading the bases and still trailing Rutgers 7-5, Wildcat catcher Sammy Nettling hit a bases-clearing triple to put Northwestern ahead once and for all at 8-7. 

After the sweep this weekend, the Knights’ Big Ten record moves to 2-12, the worst in the conference. 

Rutgers will look to snap the 11-game losing streak this Wednesday, as it travels to Brooklyn to take on LIU Brooklyn in a non-conference single game. The team beat the Blackbirds earlier in the season, 4-1. 

For updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Matthew Howe