Rutgers heads out west for doubleheader weekend

p12-cochrane-sonia-4.7
Photo by Sonia Szczesna |

The Rutgers tennis team will be on the road in the Great Lakes State this weekend as it gets set to face Michigan State on Saturday and Michigan on Sunday.  

The Spartans (13-7, 4-4) and the Wolverines (11-9, 7-1) are both coming off of losses against Illinois and Northwestern, respectively, two teams that beat the Scarlet Knights (5-11, 0-7) two weeks ago.

Rutgers will attempt to improve off of last week’s performance as freshmen Maya Jacobs and Isabelle Da Silva, and sophomore Jaci Cochrane all had big days against Nebraska and Iowa last week.

Da Silva highlighted last week’s performances after receiving her first Big Ten singles victory against the Cornhuskers last week, followed by another singles victory against the Hawkeyes.

Against Nebraska’s Hayley Haakenstad, Da Silva came roaring back after dropping the first set 4-6, ultimately winning the last two sets 6-3 and 10-6. Two days later, she defeated Iowa’s Danielle Burich in straight sets 6-3 and 7-5.  

She mentioned last week that she would like to improve her serve before she faces off against the two Michigan schools this weekend.

Jacobs also had a noteworthy performance as she picked up her second consecutive Big Ten win at home against the Cornhuskers and a doubles win with Cochrane against the Hawkeyes.

Jacobs beat Nebraska’s Katerina Matysova, coming back to win in the final two sets, 7-6 and 10-7, after dropping the first set 2-6.

Cochrane had a very good showing against Iowa last week, as she went on to win in both doubles and singles.

Cochrane and Jacobs defeated Hawkeyes Zoe Douglas, Iowa’s No. 2 player, and Adorabol Huckleby, 6-2. Cochrane then beat Huckleby again in singles 6-0 and 6-4.

The Knights expect to keep the momentum of last week’s victories going as they face the two Michigan schools.

Both Michigan State and Michigan have conference records of .500 or above and both have players coming off of their own momentous victories from last weekend.

Spartan Habiba Shaker defeated the Illini's No. 83 Asuka Kawai in a swift 6-1, 6-4 victory.  

The Wolverines almost pulled off an upset of No. 9 Northwestern last Sunday in a battle that the Wildcats ultimately held on to, 4-3.

Michigan’s No. 90 Chiara Lommer pulled off a major singles upset against the No. 68 player Maddie Lipp in straight sets 6-3, 7-5, and teammate Brienne Minor also defeated then-No. 83 Lee Or in straight sets 6-3, 7-5.  

The Wolverines were very close to coming up with a tie in points, but Northwestern’s No. 6 player Alex Chatt was able to put it away for the Wildcats in a 5-7, 6-3 and 7-6 thriller against Mira Ruder-Hook.

Rutgers head coach Hilary Ritchie and No. 2 player Chloe Lee mentioned last week that the team has to improve on its second sets in order to keep on improving.

After a week of practice, the Knights expect to continue to improve and add more victories on the road against more conference rivals.

For updates on the Rutgers tennis team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kwame Colecraft