October 17, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers falls to No. 7 Northwestern over weekend

p11-naslonski-casey-4.18
Photo by Casey Ambrosio |

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team got dominated by No. 7 Northwestern, 19-7, on Saturday afternoon.

The whole performance by the Scarlet Knights (7-9, 1-4) showed that they were outmatched from the beginning of the game. The Wildcats (13-3, 5-0) performed like a top-10 team in the country, as they led Rutgers the entire game.

With the loss, the Knights will miss their chance to be a team more than .500 for the fifth consecutive season.

Northwestern scored the first two goals of the game, forcing Rutgers to play from behind. The Knights got their first goal to make the score 2-1 in the first 6 minutes, but the 1-goal differential didn’t last long.

A 4-goal run by the Wildcats extended their lead to 6-1, but Rutgers battled back to score 3 of the next 5, closing the gap to 8-4. 

The first half ended with a 5-1 Northwestern run to extend the margin to 13-5. Fifth-year senior attacker Nicole Kopyta scored both of her 2 goals of the day in the first half. 

The second half started with the Knights taking out junior goalkeeper Devon Kearns and putting in senior Bianca Dente to finish the game. But the action continued in the Wildcats' favor, stretching the lead to 18-5 following a 5-goal run.

Northwestern put the game to bed with its last goal after Rutgers scored 2 goals in a row, putting the final nail in the coffin to finalize the score at 19-7. 

Overall, the game was not close, the Wildcats jumped to an early lead and never let it go. The Knights got out-shot 35-25, and didn’t put the same quality chances on net that Northwestern had.

Freshman midfielder Taralyn Naslonski ended the day with 4 points for the first time this season, scoring 3 goals and dishing out an assist. Her performance might be one of the lone bright spots for Rutgers, giving it something to build off of for the last game of the season where it will play host to Johns Hopkins on Saturday at 1 p.m.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Scott Brennan