Swipe right for Cardi B: Rutgers looks to offset 32 schools in Tinder competition

cardib
Photo by Twitter |

Cardi B is widely known for her hit single “Bodak Yellow” and has topped Beyoncé as the first female artist with five simultaneous hit songs in the Top 10 Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Song charts. 

Cardi B has partnered with the dating app Tinder for a nationwide college “swipe off” competition that will earn the winner a free concert from the “Bodak Yellow” artist herself. Rutgers is in the top 32. 

The “Tinder U. Swipe Off” challenges students from colleges across the country to rack up the most right swipes on the app, according to its website

On March 31, Tinder announced the top 64 universities left in the competition. Yesterday, that list was sliced in half. Rutgers made the cut — specifically Livingston and Busch campuses. 

Temple University, New York University, Penn State University, Harvard University and Yale University are all in the running, according to the app’s Instagram post

The next round ends tonight, eliminating 16 more schools, leaving 16 still in the running. The winner will be crowned on April 18, and Cardi B will perform at that school on April 25. 

This news has gained national attention and is especially relevant since the singer announced her debut album, "Invasion of Privacy," that drops this Friday. 

The Bronx-born rapper recently made history when she topped Beyoncé as the first female artist with five simultaneous hit songs in the Top 10 Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Song charts, as reported by Billboard.

Cardi B will also be the first ever co-host of “The Tonight Show” with Jimmy Fallon next Monday, April 9, where she will perform a song from her new album. 

The competition updates and results can be found on Tinder’s Instagram account. 

Erica D'Costa

Erica D'Costa is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in business administration and political science. She is an Associate News Editor @The Daily Targum.