October 16, 2018 | ° F

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | April 27, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 6.46.54 PM

SPACE RESEARCH

NASA launched its Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) last Wednesday as part of a mission aimed at discovering thousands of exoplanets orbiting bright stars. Many would likely say that funding research about distant planets and space in general may be a waste of money and time, but people should not lose sight of the values that exploring things beyond Earth can hold. Searching for and studying exoplanets can help us learn more about ourselves, and allow us to appreciate more thoroughly our own world and its seemingly unique and uncommon characteristics. We laurel the launch of the new TESS satellite, and hope that it can help humans learn a great deal more about the nature of our universe. 

SEXUAL ASSAULT

In March, The Daily Targum reported on two cases of sexual misconduct involving Rutgers professors. Now, new progressions in one of the cases have emerged. Nabil Adam, vice chancellor for Research and Collaborations at Rutgers—Newark, was under investigation for allegedly sexually assaulting a graduate student that he worked with. Rutgers has recently decided to suspend judgement on the decision, stating that neither parties are trustable. Though we are unsure what the truth of the matter is, the situation is unsettling no matter which party is in the wrong. Both actually committing sexual assaults and giving false allegations are shameful. We dart the continuous reminders of the unfortunate fact that we are far from a sexual-assault-free nation. 

MITIGATE MORTALITY

In 2015, there were 5.9 infant deaths per 1,000 births in the U.S., according to the New Jersey State Health Assessment Data. Additionally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that there were approximately 3,700 unexpected infant deaths in the same year. It is important for mothers to know as much as they can about keeping their infants safe and healthy soon after birth, and with a combination of science, technology and communication, a new app developed by the SIDS Center of New Jersey from the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (RWJMS) can help lower infant mortality rates. We laurel RWJMS for this new and helpful innovation.

NET INEQUALITY

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) decided back in December to rollback policies that were meant to ensure net neutrality remains strong. Soon, those policies will be no more, and a small group of powerful Internet Service Providers will have free reign over limiting who sees what, how fast they see it and how much they pay to do so. This rollback of net neutrality may very well have a negative impact on freedom and access to personal and institutional education. We dart this rather unfair decision by the FCC for forcing us to take a step back on the road to true equality.

TRANS VISIBILITY

New Brunswick High School held the fourth-annual Trans Youth Forum on Saturday. During the event, people attended workshops and listened to panels with the aim of informing New Brunswick about the transgender community and the issues regarding it. In order for the transgender community to continue to progress and gain traction and visibility, more events and forums like Saturday’s must be held. Allies and members of the transgender community must work together to spread knowledge about these important issues. We laurel the organizers of the Trans Youth Forum for pushing for a more informed and understanding public. 

CARE ABOUT HEALTHCARE 

As a result of the newly implemented R-Health Direct Care, some of the 3,000 part-time faculty members who previously did not have access to healthcare now do. This “boutique style” primary-care network is available to all part-time employees who are also members of the faculty union — American Association of University Professors-American Federation of Teachers — and includes easy access to personal physicians, speedy appointments, comprehensive primary, preventive, urgent and chronic care and does not require co-pays. Though this new availability is undoubtedly a positive thing, we dart the fact that it did not happen sooner. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________