WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | April 6, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 6.46.54 PM

LOVE NOT HATE

Approximately a month ago flyers began to spread around the United Kingdom encouraging people to commit hate crimes against Muslims on Tuesday, April 3, stating that perpetrators would score points for various sorts of assault and harassment. These flyers eventually spread into the United States as well. In response to this, the University initiated #LoveAScarletKnight week and encouraged Rutgers students to combat hate with love for one another. Thankfully nothing serious happened Tuesday, at least at Rutgers, but one can imagine the fear that may have been needlessly invoked in many members of our community. We laurel the initiative’s aim to rid our learning environment of prejudice and opposition. 

CRISIS CONTINUES 

Despite the toll it has taken on our state with regard to death, the opioid crisis is still very much alive in New Jersey. There have been 765 deaths related to drug overdose between Jan. 1 and April 1 of 2018. Fifty of those deaths occurred in Middlesex County. Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) plans to allocate $100 million dollars, an enormous sum of money, from the 2019 fiscal budget toward combating the crisis, but if the trend continues as it has in 2018, we could possibly see a total of 3,000 deaths by the end of the year. The opioid crisis has had a significant impact on our state’s communities, and we dart the factors that have dug us into this hole. 

NOTE NETWORK

Especially for classes one does not necessarily specialize in, it can be extremely helpful to collaborate with classmates in order to better understand the topics and material at hand. Rutgers alumni have created Notes and Tutors, a website that offers Rutgers students the ability to share and utilize notes and other materials for more efficient studying and learning. The service’s aim is to create an interconnected community of students and tutors that can enhance the Rutgers learning environment. We laurel the innovativeness of the creators of this service for wanting to do their part to help better the Rutgers community even after leaving the Banks. 

WASH OUT WHITE SUPREMACY

A few weeks ago, more flyers from the white supremacist group Identity Evropa appeared on campus. For the past few years, groups like Identity Evropa have been attempting to distance themselves from the old, seemingly outdated form of white supremacy, such as those characteristics of the Ku Klux Klan. Instead, these groups are moving to appear more approachable and well composed so as to recruit more people and gain traction in the political realm. It can be assumed that since flyers like this keep popping up on campus, there are members of the community who sympathize with this divisive ideology. We dart the fact that hate continues to penetrate our community of love and inclusivity. 

RUTGERS TAKES THE REINS

Rutgers is now tasked with the much needed mission of conducting research regarding gun violence. Despite the fact that gun violence has surged relatively recently in this country, the federal government has not initiated much action toward finding out why this is so or how to mitigate it. But, New Jersey’s senate has proposed two bills that would put Rutgers at the center of such research — one that would establish the New Jersey Firearm Violence Research Center, and another that calls for collaboration between the Rutgers University Behavioral Health Care program and the School of Criminal Justice to conduct in-depth studies on the issue. We laurel these bills that allow our University to take the reins on such an important and pressing problem in our nation. 

PERFORMERS CAN SHOW PRESTIGE 

It may not seem like it, but the performers and visitors that a university hosts can say a lot about the status of that school. In the past, Rutgers has not had the level of performers that schools we consider our rivals have had, such as Penn State with Kanye West. Our concerts are held in the College Avenue Gymnasium, which cannot hold nearly as many students as a venue like High Point Solutions Stadium can, and therefore cannot generate as much revenue through ticket sales. We dart the fact that despite our school’s level of prestige and the number of students who go here, we have yet to book an artist of widespread note in their prime. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________