Rutgers places No.28 in 2018-2019 college ranking

Rutgers_University_College_Avenue_campus_July_2016_Hedge_spells_out_Rutgers
Photo by Wikimedia |

The Rutgers School of Health Professions will use its $4.2 million federal grant as a means to expedite the process of turning research into practice. 

While Rutgers lost by 29 to Penn State the last time the schools met on the football field, the University beat out the Nittany Lions by two spots in the recent Center for World University Rankings (CWUR).  

The 2018-2019 list features Rutgers—New Brunswick at No. 41 in the world and No. 28 across the nation, according to the CWUR rankings. In the 2017 report, Rutgers was placed at No. 49 in the world — marking an eight-position improvement for the University.        

The top 10 includes eight universities based in the United States, according to a press release. The 10 are as follows, with each school’s ranking from the previous year in parentheses.    

1. Harvard University (1)

2. Stanford University (2)

3. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (3)

4. University of Cambridge (4)

5. University of Oxford (5)

6. University of California, Berkeley (7)

7. Princeton University (9)

8. Columbia University (6)

9. California Institute of Technology (11)

10. University of Chicago (8)    

CWUR graded the universities on seven factors: quality of teaching, alumni employment, quality of faculty, research output, quality publications, influence and citations. The organization updated its methodology so that research accounted for 70 percent of the total score in the 2018-19 report, according to the press release.

Notably, Rutgers ranked at No. 35 in the world for quality of faculty, according to the report. CWUR considered how many award-winning academics worked at a university for this category, according to its methodology. The University also came in at 74 for research output and 212 for quality of education.

Rutgers overall score was 85.2, according to the ranking.

Looking at how various countries did, the United States placed the most schools in the top 1,000 with 213, according to the press release. China with 108 was second, followed by the United Kingdom with 62, France with 58 and Japan with 56, among others. Sixty-one countries in total had a university in the top 1,000.            

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is a News Editor @ The Daily Targum.