Rutgers chancellor resigns

University Chancellor Debasish Dutta will stay on as a distinguished faculty member

8c06da33-4f65-4aa7-9111-41c94eeafa2c.sized-1000x1000
Photo by Casey Ambrosio |

University Chancellor Debasish Dutta has announced he is stepping down from his position and into the role of distinguished professor. 

In a University-wide email sent earlier this year, Rutgers—New Brunswick Chancellor Debasish Dutta announced he is resigning from his position and transitioning to a faculty role as a distinguished professor.

Dutta was appointed chancellor in April 2017, as reported by The Daily Targum, and began his service on July 1, 2017. Before coming to Rutgers, Dutta was the former provost and executive vice president for academic affairs at Purdue University.

Dutta said that serving as chancellor had been rewarding but that his vision going forward differed from that of the University. 

“However, during this time it has become clear that my vision for the chancellorship is not in alignment with that of the University,” he said. “It is only fair that I step aside and let the University select a new leader for the New Brunswick campus.”

Dutta added that Rutgers President Robert L. Barchi accepted his resignation and has since named Senior Vice President for Research and Economic Development Christopher J. Molloy interim chancellor of Rutgers—New Brunswick. Dutta reiterated that everyone in the Rutgers community has his full support as they work to improve the University. 

Molloy has served as vice president since December 2013. He was previously the dean of the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, the interim provost for biomedical and health sciences and the interim chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, Barchi said in a statement announcing Molloy as chancellor. 

“The past year, as chancellor of the flagship campus at Rutgers, has been immensely rewarding,” Dutta said. “Serving in this role at one of America’s oldest and most prominent land-grant public universities has been a distinct privilege.”

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is a News Editor @ The Daily Targum.