August 16, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers chancellor resigns

University Chancellor Debasish Dutta will stay on as a distinguished faculty member

8c06da33-4f65-4aa7-9111-41c94eeafa2c.sized-1000x1000
Photo by Casey Ambrosio |

University Chancellor Debasish Dutta has announced he is stepping down from his position and into the role of distinguished professor. 

In a University-wide email sent this afternoon, Rutgers—New Brunswick Chancellor Debasish Dutta announced he will be resigning from his position and transitioning to a faculty role as a distinguished professor.

Dutta was appointed as chancellor in April 2017, as reported by The Daily Targum, and began his service on July 1, 2017. Before coming to Rutgers, Dutta was the former provost and executive vice president for academic affairs at Purdue University.

Dutta said that serving as chancellor had been rewarding but that his vision going forward differed from that of the University. 

“However, during this time is has become clear that my vision for the chancellorship is not in alignment with that of the University,” he said. “It is only fair that I step aside and let the University select a new leader for the New Brunswick campus.”

He said he stepped aside yesterday, and that Rutgers President Robert L. Barchi has accepted his resignation.

Dutta said Barchi will name an interim chancellor soon, and that everyone in the Rutgers community has his full support as they work to improve the University.

“The past year, as chancellor of the flagship campus at Rutgers, has been immensely rewarding,” he said. “Serving in this role at one of America’s oldest and most prominent land-grant public universities has been a distinct privilege.”

UPDATE: 

In a separate email, Barchi named Senior Vice President for Research and Economic Development Christopher J. Molloy as interim chancellor of Rutgers—New Brunswick.

Barchi also said Dutta will return as a distinguished professor in the School of Engineering.

"Christopher J. Molloy, Ph.D. was today named as interim chancellor of Rutgers University–New Brunswick," he said. "Dr. Molloy assumes this position after serving as the university’s senior vice president for research and economic development since December 2013. He was previously the dean of the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, the interim provost for biomedical and health sciences and the interim chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences."

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is an Associate News Editor @ The Daily Targum.