Rutgers police issue crime alert for aggravated and sexual assault

2498847226_5ee6962d70_b
Photo by Flickr |

Thirty-six-year-old David Stewart has been charged with vehicular homicide in the third degree for being under the influence of marijuana when he fatally struck 19-year-old Cory Aufiero, a Rutgers Business School sophomore, on George Street on Sept. 28.

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) issued a crime alert last Tuesday reporting an aggravated and sexual assault that occurred that day at approximately 5:27 p.m. on the intersection of Abeel Street and Elijah’s Way in New Brunswick, according to an email from RUPD Captain Paul Fischer. 

In the incident, the victim who is not affiliated with the University reported being sexually assaulted by an ex-boyfriend who then struck her multiple times. A bystander who attempted to intervene on the victim’s behalf was also struck with a blunt object by the perpetrator. 

The perpetrator, who was identified in a follow-up email as Frank Ferraro, 26, fled the scene on foot in the direction of George Street. 

The email stated that both victims sustained non-life-threatening injuries and refused medical treatment. 

Ferraro has been charged and awaits court proceedings at the Middlesex County Adult Correctional Center, Fischer said.

Fischer added that RUPD provides escorts to students, faculty and staff upon request. The escorts provide personalized transportation services to vehicles, campus residences or the University's mass transit system. 

Erica D'Costa

Erica D'Costa is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in business administration and political science. She is an Associate News Editor @The Daily Targum.