Rutgers reaccredited for next 9 years

Barchi
Photo by Declan Intindola |

University President Robert L. Barchi spoke at last night's Rutgers University Student Assembly meeting about notable increases in national rankings by the Rutgers Law School and School of Nursing and how the University is working to open alternative fundraising options to better fund its needs. 

Rutgers has been reaccredited for the next nine years following a vote by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, said University President Robert L. Barchi in an email Wednesday.

Accreditation is a form of consumer protection, as previously reported by The Daily Targum. It assures students, governmental agencies and the public in general that Rutgers meets specific quality standards.

Importantly, students who attend an accredited school are eligible to receive federal financial aid, according to the Targum. The process also serves as time for review and reflection.

"... Access to federal and state funding, scholarships, grants, student loans and research financing all hinge on the University’s accreditation, which is also critical to the public’s trust in the value of a Rutgers education," Barchi said in the email.

The criteria includes seven standards of accreditation and 15 requirements of affiliation, such as an institution evaluating, and making public the results, the status and accomplishments of its educational programs, among others outlined in the Standards for Accreditation and Requirements of Affiliation document.

The Middle States Commission, 1 of 6 regional accreditors that are approved by the U.S. Department of Higher Education, evaluates universities every 10 years, according to the Targum. 

“I am delighted to announce that the Middle States Commission on Higher Education has voted to reaffirm the accreditation of Rutgers University for the next nine years,” Barchi said. “… This decision completes a multi-year examination of the progress that Rutgers has made since our last Middle States review in 2008.”

He highlighted the efforts of the Rutgers community at large — more than 100 faculty, staff, students and board members who authored a Self-Study Report — with special thanks to Barbara Lee, senior vice president for Academic Affairs and Ann Gould, a professor in the Department of Plant Biology, who co-chaired the Self-Study Steering Committee. Lee told the Targum previously that the self-study process began in the summer of 2015, and the report was finalized by the end of 2017.

In March, a team of peer-reviewers visited the University to evaluate it as part of the accreditation process, as reported by the Targum.

Barchi said the team’s report commended Rutgers for “living a deeper mission than its focus on excellence in teaching, research and service. Their focus on affordability and accessibility across geography, and economic, ethnic and racial differences is noteworthy.”

The 2013 merger between Rutgers and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey was noted among other commendations, according to the email.

Since its last accreditation in 2008, Rutgers—New Brunswick joined the Big Ten in 2013 and appointed Barchi as its president, according to the Targum. 

“Congratulations to everyone at Rutgers for achieving a well-deserved confirmation of the excellent work we are undertaking in educating tomorrow’s leaders and in preparing for the challenges and opportunities ahead,” Barchi said.

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is a News Editor @ The Daily Targum.