Crime alert reports robbery on Dix Street

2498847226_5ee6962d70_b
Photo by Flickr |

Thirty-six-year-old David Stewart has been charged with vehicular homicide in the third degree for being under the influence of marijuana when he fatally struck 19-year-old Cory Aufiero, a Rutgers Business School sophomore, on George Street on Sept. 28.

The New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) issued a crime alert Tuesday morning reporting a robbery at gunpoint. 

The incident occurred at 2 a.m. on Dix Street between Hamilton Street and Central Avenue, according to an email from the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD). The crime alert stated that the victims, one a Rutgers affiliate, were walking on Dix Street when they were confronted by multiple males that emerged from two different vehicles. The non-Rutgers affiliate reported that several men displayed firearms and demanded items of value. 

The perpetrators took property from both victims and fled in two separate vehicles, described as an older model red sedan and a newer model black SUV, toward Central Avenue. The victims were not physically injured as a result of the incident, according to the email. 

Physical descriptions of the perpetrators are limited at this time.

RUPD reminded members of the Rutgers community that they can strengthen safety precautions and reduce their chances of being a crime victim by immediately reporting suspicious activity to local law enforcement, remaining alert and aware of their surroundings, avoiding isolated or dark areas and walking in groups when traveling at night. 

RUPD provides students, faculty and staff members security escorts upon request. In order to request an escort, contact RUPD at 732-932-7211.

Erica D'Costa

Erica D'Costa is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in business administration and political science. She is an Associate News Editor @The Daily Targum.