October 19, 2018 | ° F

After apple picking, spice up classic cocktails with fall fruit flavors

insidebeat1-instagram
Photo by Instagram |

Fall has almost arrived here in New Brunswick, which means it is almost apple picking season.   While indulging in plenty of homemade apple cider doughnuts are necessary, the best part of apple picking is the assortment of fresh, organic apples you get to bring home. But once we bring them home, we tend to go back to our routine ways of baking a classic apple pie or everyone’s beloved apple fritters. 

Sure, the kids (and adults) may enjoy this, but to really spice up your dinner table or house party this year, try some new and refreshing cocktail ideas made with farm fresh apples and apple cider. Whether you choose to order one at a bar or make one at home, these apple cocktails give a boozy take on the classic saying, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Apple and Gin 

Tart, slightly sweet and smooth with a fruity apple taste, this apple and gin cocktail is filled to the brim with fall flavors. Easy on the eyes and downright delicious, this cocktail is perfect for any fall day.

Serving: two cocktails 

Total time: 5 minutes

Ingredients: 

4 ounces of gin

4 ounces of apple cider

1-ounce of lime juice

2 ounces of honey simple syrup

Dash of cinnamon

Optional Garnishes:

Two thyme sprigs

One apple – cut into matchsticks

Honey simple syrup:

One-fourth cup of honey

One-fourth cup of hot water

Directions: 

Make the honey simple syrup: add the hot water and honey to a mason jar and shake vigorously until the honey dissolves. For the cocktail: combine gin, apple cider, lime juice, honey simple syrup and cinnamon in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously until chilled. To serve: fill two glasses with ice and matchstick apples. Strain cocktail to glasses and garnish with sprigs of thyme.

Tangy Cider Fizz

If you are looking for other ways to use your apple cider this year, but not looking for something time-consuming, this cider cocktail will surely allow you to have a good time in no time.

Serving: one cocktail 

Total time: 5 minutes

Ingredients: 

1 bar spoon of brown sugar

One-half ounce of freshly squeezed juice from half a lemon

2 ounces of Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth

1 ounce of fresh apple cider

4 ounces of club soda, chilled

Garnish: one strip lemon zest

Directions:

Add brown sugar to a rocks glass. Pour lemon juice over the brown sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pour in Carpano Antica and apple cider then fill with ice. Stir gently to combine and then top with club soda. Garnish with lemon peel and serve.

Elizabeth Leoce