Get involved this semester, From Hogwarts to homelessness prevention

involvementfair
Photo by Elizabeth Leoce |

School of Environmental and Biological Sciences Junior Giovanni Caputo and School of Environmental and Biological Sciences Senior Caitlin Uriarte pose in front of their information table for Prescription Drug Abuse and Overprescription Awareness. 

It is time to head "Back to Hogwarts" … sorry, we meant back to the Banks, meaning its time to get involved. Thankfully, J.K. Rowling reminds us that our choices show us who we truly are, and Rutgers has many clubs for students to explore and choose from. Getting involved on campus can help you build your network and your resume, making you a more valuable candidate for jobs and internships. Many people go for the traditional and more well-known campus organizations, such as Greek life or club sports, but what many people forget is that there are more than 700 clubs at Rutgers, which means there are a plethora of opportunities that go unnoticed. If you are looking to stand out this school year, keep on reading on how to get connected.

Hearts for the Homeless 

This newly-established club has joined the Rutgers community with a goal to aid homeless women and children while working alongside two charities that are devoted toward service within the community. The club will be working with Women Aware — domestic violence services — and Catholic charities in New Brunswick and Ozanam Family Shelter in Edison in order to help those in need. 

“Hearts for the Homeless makes women aware of their surroundings while having fun creating change," said Dina Fradkin, a Hearts for the Homeless member and School of Arts and Sciences junior.

The organization will be meeting Sept. 10 in Livingston Student Center room 201A and will be holding meetings throughout the months, Fradkin said. 

Minority Association of Pre-Health Students (M.A.P.S.)

Pre-med and the sciences are majors that are very popular at Rutgers, and the M.A.P.S. club gives an outlet for students of color to serve their community. M.A.P.S. hopes to spread diversity within the pre-health fields by broadening the spectrum and providing awareness. 

“We meet biweekly and hope to gather people of color and different backgrounds in a place to easily share ideas and research,” said Rachel Lamptey, a School of Arts and Sciences senior. 

Muggle Mayhem 

While it may not be Hogwarts, this club is spreading their love for the series across the Rutgers community. With meetings every month in the atrium of the College Avenue Student Center, the members hope to create place to socialize and have fun in the name of Harry Potter.

“What most people do not realize is that we also do charity work each semester. For example, this past year we combined with a natural disaster organization and had a clothing drive where people donated socks, called ‘Free Dobby,’” said Richard Fernandes, a School of Arts and Sciences senior. 

You can find them on social media platforms like Facebook, so definitely check them out.

Criminal Justice Organization 

The CJO is just one of hundreds of pre-professional clubs here at Rutgers. The CJO aims to provide a forum to discuss relevant issues in criminal justice with students interested in the field and to assist them with career-related opportunities, like interviewing, internship information, guest speakers and exam study groups. This organization also partners with the CJO Honor Society and provides networking that is essential to anyone who wants a job in the future. 

“We also host social events, so you get to make friends with other students going into the same area or students with similar interests,” said Christie Hui, a School of Arts and Sciences junior. 

Prescription Drug Abuse and Overprescription Awareness Organization (PDAOA)

As the abuse and misuse of prescription drugs rises misuse within the  Rutgers community, PDAOA rallies to bring awareness to this growing academic.  PDAOA tables at student centers and other locations on campus, educating the community about commonly abused prescription narcotics that can lead to addiction and overdose and the very real issue of overprescription and misprescription of prescription drugs. They will be meet every two weeks at Scott Hall and will provide Narcan training throughout the semester. 

“Our age is most prevalent to overdose, and we must bring awareness to the Rutgers Community,” said Caitlin Uriarte, a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences senior. 

Elizabeth Leoce