Interim chancellor brings years of Rutgers experience to new job

ChrisMolloy_500-rutgers
Photo by Rutgers.edu |

Christopher J. Molloy first came to Rutgers in the early 1970s. Approximately 46 years later he is the new interim chancellor of Rutgers—New Brunswick with plans to create more internship opportunities for students and ensure the value of a Rutgers education. RUTGERS.EDU

Christopher J. Molloy, the new interim chancellor of Rutgers—New Brunswick, has been a part of the Rutgers community for 46 years, and looks to use that experience to fill the shoes of former University Chancellor Debasish Dutta.

His focus will pull from his past experiences both on campus and in the private sector. 

He said that creating opportunities for corporate employers to create new internship opportunities for students, strengthening the University’s network of makerspaces and ensuring the value of a Rutgers education are key issues, according to Rutgers Today.

In an email sent last week, Molloy introduced himself to the student body for the first time in his new position.

“The first thing you should know is that I am eager to listen to you,” Molloy said in the email. “Though I am a two-time Rutgers graduate, I want your feedback on your experience as a Scarlet Knight. A central part of my job is ensuring that you receive the best of what Rutgers has to offer — which is what I received during my time here as a student.”

He first came to the University as a student in the early 1970s, where he received a bachelor’s degree in pharmacy, and later his doctoral degree from the joint Rutgers Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School/Graduate School–New Brunswick, according to his biography.

Rutgers has changed a lot since he received his degree, Molloy said. His first year, 1972-73, was the first year in which women were accepted into Rutgers College, according to Rutgers Today.

Following his time as a student, the Rutgers alumnus held positions on campus, such as senior vice president for Research and Economic Development, dean of the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy and interim provost for Biomedical and Health Sciences.

Molloy has also worked in the private sector. He said that these experiences give him an understanding of the culture at Rutgers and will help him in continuing the work of his predecessors, according to Rutgers Today.

“There are several ways in which I would like to transform and improve the student experience,” Molloy said to Rutgers Today. “I see untapped opportunities with corporate employers to create new internship opportunities for students. Businesses want to get to know our students and recruit them and embrace us as an economic engine. I would also like to see the University serve as an incubator for student entrepreneurship by strengthening its network of makerspaces, which encourage students to collaborate in problem solving and invention.”

He also said that he believes the University has an obligation to support students in utilizing their Rutgers education to get a job, as well as in other pursuits.

“There is no doubt that changes in the economy, affordability and the pressure to perform and get jobs contribute to how you think about and value your education at Rutgers,” he said. “I believe the University has an obligation to support you as you navigate these issues, and I am actively working with partners inside and outside the University to offer you pathways to realize your dreams.”

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is an Associate News Editor @ The Daily Targum.