October 19, 2018 | ° F

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | September 21, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 6.46.54 PM

QUALITY CAUSE

One of the aims of Rutgers University’s chapter of the organization Enactus is to use “principles of management and entrepreneurship to improve the quality of life and the standard of living of people in need.” Currently, it is working to aid a nonprofit organization called Popcorn for the People, which trains and hires people diagnosed with Autism. Rutgers Enactus’ mission is something we at The Daily Targum sympathize with, and we laurel the organization for the meaningful work it continues to do.

OPIOID CRISIS

Rutgers’ Eagleton Center for Public Interest Polling recently conducted polls that indicated many New Jersey residents who have been prescribed painkillers felt somewhat uninformed by their physician with regard to alternatives to the opioids and dangers associated with them. Additionally, the polls showed that in the past 12 months about half of people from New Jersey were either prescribed opioids or have a family member that was. This shows simply how prominent the legal use of these dangerous drugs are. We dart the rampant prescribing of opioids and the pathway that such prescriptions carve to addiction. 

SECURITY CAMERAS

In August, 12 new security cameras were installed in New Brunswick’s fifth and sixth wards as a result of a collaboration between Rutgers’ chancellor’s office, the city of New Brunswick, the Rutgers University Student Assembly and the Rutgers University Police Department. The cameras have been installed on utility poles throughout those two wards, and will allow students to experience more peace of mind on their walks home at night. Considering the seemingly high instances of crime off campus, we laurel the installation of these cameras. 

LEAD LEVELS

Four New Brunswick public schools — Paul Robeson Community School, New Brunswick Middle School, McKinley Community School and New Brunswick High School — have been found to have levels of lead in their water that are significantly higher than the acceptable limit. This was brought to light by an Open Public Record Act (OPRA) request filed by New Brunswick Today. The fact that young students in the same town that Rutgers is located in have been exposed to these dangerous conditions is extremely unsettling. Needless to say, we dart whoever is to blame for neglecting to ensure safe water for young scholars in our town. 

REVOLUTIONARY WRISTBAND

A team of researchers led by Assistant Professor Mehdi Javanmard in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and director of the Rutgers University NanoBioElectronics Lab, designed a wristband that uses small wires to analyze and count the number of red and white blood cells in a person’s bloodstream. An invention like this has the potential to revolutionize the way people think about healthcare. We laurel Javanmard and the rest of the team for their brilliant work. 

WAGE GAP

In an article from Forbes earlier this year, Rutgers has been ranked 17th among the top 117 colleges in terms of having the smallest gender gap in graduate earnings. Graduates from Rutgers that are male make on average $48,500 per year, while graduates that are female make $44,300. A recent Bureau of Labor Statistics report stated that in 2017, women who worked full time had median weekly salaries that were 81.6 percent of that of their male counterparts. Despite Rutgers being relatively progressive with regard to this disparity, we dart the fact that the disparity exists in the first place. ___________________________________________________________________________________________