Surrounded by pizza parlors, Burgerim joins Easton Ave.

IB-burger-elizabeth
Photo by Elizabeth Leoce |
Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

With a slew of pizza parlors, taco spots and Hawaiian-inspired Playa Bowl cafes, New Brunswick is a college town made for any foodie. But, with BurgerFi closing shop in 2015, Diesel and Duke has been the only place to pick up a gourmet burger — until now. Take a bite out of Burgerim, the new casual franchise on Easton Avenue. With a larger menu and more space to sit with friends, Burgerim is bringing flavor and some healthy competition to Rutgers’ restaurant row.

After reading over the customizable gourmet options offered on their menu, it might be surprising to hear that Burgerim is a fast-food burger franchise with many locations in the U.S. alone. Their chef-inspired burgers take a unique approach to customization and appeal to your cravings and needs in one meal — you can add anything from a fried egg to pineapple to your wagyu or lamb burger — or just classic beef patty. After spending a few minutes considering all of the endless possibilities the menu has to offer, Diesel and Duke’s classic but limited menu just doesn’t compare.

As soon as you walk in, you enter a spacious, modern atmosphere that closely resembles a typical fast-food burger chain. If you are not into the classic meat burger, Burgerim offers fish and meat-free options including salmon, veggie and falafel. The franchise even offers gluten-free buns for those of you with a gluten sensitivity. After choosing your base, you can try their signature styles, such as the classic which has American cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions and special house sauce. They also have other styles like the cowboy, California and caliente which are original to their franchise and menu. If you do not like their original combinations, you can create a custom order and craft your own recipe with items, such as avocado, fried egg, mushrooms or bacon. Burgerim offers onion rings, sweet potato fries and their signature thin cut fries that are quite addicting. 

If you are looking for game day food or a fun platter for a special event, Burgerim also caters. Burgerim offers the Party Box and the Family Box, which are great options for those of you who want to satisfy a large number of people without breaking the bank. The Party Box includes 16 burgers, with up to four different types of your favorite burgers. The Family Box includes eight burgers, eight wings, fries and onion rings at a great price. Burgerim conveniently works with EatStreet, Grubhub and other delivery services that bring it right to your doorstep. 

Many Rutgers students will still love Diesel and Duke because of its classic menu and small-business aesthetic — after all, Burgerim is a fast-food chain, and sometimes people would rather have something local, and support a small New Brunswick restaurant. Burgerim's burgers are gourmet, but the overall quality and taste is similar to that of a Shake Shack or McDonald’s burger. Diesel and Duke’s patties have more of a homemade feel and the restaurant also offers a few creative options, such as their peanut butter burger and fried Oreo's. Burgerim simply gives the neighborhood more variety — burgers are a quintessential dish of American cuisine, so the two joints can easily co-exist.

Burgerim has an extremely friendly environment where the workers and staff care about their food and its freshness. Being new to the Rutgers community, they offer discounts to students and if you are an on-duty police officer, firefighter or paramedic, you will get 50 percent off your meal. College students generally see nothing wrong with restaurant chains, so this new casual spot is a must-try, and Burgerim will tailor your meal to satisfy your specific cravings. 

Elizabeth Leoce