Bright, monochromatic looks dominate NYFW runways

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 5.16.39 PM
Photo by Instagram |

New York Fashion Week (NYFW) just ended, and like always, it was filled with tons of memorable moments, over-the-top shows and of course, trends that we’ll be wearing all fall and winter long. From Sept. 6 to Sept. 14, New York was filled with fashion lovers, whether it be designers, bloggers or everyday fashion followers. NYFW dictates the trends that we’ll be seeing everywhere very soon, and these certain trends dominated the runway.

Bright, saturated, monochromatic hues

Neutral colors will always be a classic, but it was clear that bright and saturated hues are making their way into our lives. Monochromatic looks featuring super bright colors like orange, purple or green was all over the runway. One noteworthy look was an orange ensemble by Carolina Herrera. Jeremy Scott, known for his loud designs, chose some bright, monochromatic hues for some tracksuits. These bright pink tracksuits are definitely reminiscent of those Juicy Couture velour suits we used to love.  Prabal Gurung also gave a stunning show full of highlighter yellows and pinks.

Yellow

The it color of this season's florescent palette is marigold yellow. This bright and sunny shade was seen everywhere, whether it be elegant gowns or a matching accessory. Oscar de la Renta, Marc Jacobs and 3.1 Phillip Lim were some shows that incorporated this sunny shade, just to name a few. While once a color that many people steered away from, this color may just become a staple in our wardrobe. With so many affordable brands releasing items with yellow, such as Vans or Topshop, this trend will be easy to follow. 

Fringe

This style isn’t just meant for western-style or 70s-era clothing. Fringe was seen on so many pieces, adding a fun element that’ll have you twirling around. Longchamp, primarily known for their luxurious and functional handbags, chose to add fringe to their boots. Other big-name designers that included this trend are Salvatore Ferragamo, Bottega Veneta and Céline. There are a ton of ways that we can get this trend at our favorite stores, like a cute jacket for the upcoming cold months or a simple bag

Leopard print

As we saw in last season’s fashion week, animal print was seen all over the runway. Same goes for this season  —
specifically leopard print. This daring animal can become a statement print or just a subtle hint. Some designers decided to go a little bold with it, with R13 creating a matching shorts and jacket set and Calvin Klein using the print on a pair of pants. Zara, widely known for their quick production of high fashion trends, released some pieces incorporating this print. Lucky for us, this high fashion trend is accessible for fast fashion prices.

Cargo pants

Taking it back to the 90s, cargo pants has made an appearance again. These baggy pants are a surprising break from the skin tight jeans we’re so used to wearing. Designers decided to put their own spin on these nostalgic pants. Model Bella Hadid wore hot pink cargo pants with a matching bra for Prabal Gurung. Ralph Lauren went for a more sporty look, pairing them with sneakers and a sweater. If you can’t find a pair of cargo pants in your parent’s closet, Urban Outfitters has you covered. They’ve got a few different pair of cargo pants, such as solid colors or camouflage, so there’s something for everyone. 

Tie-dye

Continuing with nostalgic trends this season, tie-dye reemerged on the runway. Remember all of those t-shirts we made at summer camp or as a DIY project with our friends when we were younger? You’re in luck if you kept them. Tie-dye was shown a little more high fashion on the runway than just a basic t-shirt, such as a tie-dye blazer and t-shirt or a matching dress, shirt and socks (with the dress and shirt layered to fit into the 90s vibe). R13, Collina Strada and Calvin Klein are a few brands that showcased this trend. We can actually use this trend for the upcoming game day, with Scarlet Fever, a local store on Somerset Street, selling a tie-dye Rutgers t-shirt. 

Fashion Week fans know that all of these trends have to be showcased with the perfect runway show. While we do love the traditional runway, designers get more and more innovative each season. Ranging from super diverse models to a show that wasn’t actually a runway, this season was full of interesting choices. 

Savage X Fenty

We always have high expectations for Rihanna, and of course, she never disappoints. Her Savage X Fenty show, which was the finale of NYFW, featured a wide range of models to showcase her gorgeous lingerie. Not all of the models were the stereotypical lingerie models, with all of them ranging in shapes, sizes and ethnicities. Her lingerie line is inclusive, and so are her models. This is a refreshing change from the typical line-up of models, showing that any shape and size can feel gorgeous and confident in Savage X Fenty. 

Prabal Gurung

Inclusion is always great to see on the runway, and Prabal Gurung chose this path as well. His show included models from over 35 countries to show his outstanding line. This is a big step in NYFW, as many of the models used in shows are veteran models that many recognize. By including models from over 35 countries, this gives exposure to the beauty and uniqueness of so many countries that people would have never seen. 

Opening Ceremony

When thinking of NYFW, we automatically think of a runway show. Opening Ceremony decided to do something different. They scrapped the runway show altogether, and decided to do a performance instead. This performance was in collaboration with "RuPaul’s Drag Race" winner Sasha Velour, and featured all LGBTQ+ performers. Aside from showcasing Opening Ceremony’s clothing, it was a celebration of the LGBTQ+ and drag community, which ended with a surprise performance by Christina Aguilera. 

We never know what to expect when it comes to Fashion Week, and this season was no different. Aside from all of the breathtaking couture and celebrity faces, some major moments stole some of the spotlight. 

Slick Woods

Remember when the Savage X Fenty show was mentioned earlier? Among these gorgeous models was nine-month pregnant Slick Woods. Slick Woods, a veteran model for Fenty, gave birth right after the show. What’s even crazier than giving birth right after a show is that she was in labor during the show itself. Woods was in labor for 14 hours total, and walked the runway through all of this. It’s amazing how much strength Woods has to slay on the runway, and congratulations to Woods on becoming a new mother.

Marc Jacobs

Famously known for being extremely punctual and on time with his shows, Marc Jacobs threw all of us for a loop when his 6 p.m. show started a whopping 90 minutes late. Jacobs is known not only for having punctual shows, but for being the finale of NYFW as well. This spot was taken by Rihanna’s Savage X Fenty show. It was thought that he did this to spite Rihanna for taking his spot, but he responded to these allegations on his Instagram page with an explanation for the delay. Whether this was done purposely, his show was definitely worth the wait filled with whimsical and magical pieces.

NYFW is always full of surprises. All we can really expect are some breathtaking clothing and extravagant shows. We’re excited to see what the fashion industry brings to us in the upcoming months, and we can’t wait to see what Fashion Week brings us when it comes back in February.

Leona Juan