October 19, 2018 | ° F

RUPD issues two crime alerts over course of 3 days

crimealert-DT

The Rutgers University Police Department reported on two crime alerts this weekend, one on Easton Avenue Friday morning and the other on Senior Street Sunday morning.

Two crime alerts were issued over the course of Friday and this weekend — one involving an aggravated assault and the other involving a robbery.

On Sunday afternoon, the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) sent a student-wide email that reported an aggravated assault said to have occured on Sunday Sept. 23, at approximately 2:15 a.m. on Easton Avenue, between Bristol Street and Courtland Street.

The victim reported that after a brief verbal dispute with an unknown male, he was struck and knocked to the ground, according to the report. Once on the ground he was then struck by a second unknown male. The victim, who is affiliated with the University, was transported to a local area hospital for treatment and there were no weapons used in the incident.

The first perpetrator was described as a white male wearing a blue t-shirt and having a stocky build, according to the report. The second perpetrator was described as a white male, approximately 6 feet tall, with a thin build, short brown hair and wearing a white t-shirt.

RUPD is currently investigating the incident, according to the email.

On Friday, Sept. 21, RUPD reported that the New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) is investigating a robbery reported to have happened that morning at approximately 2 a.m. on Senior Street between Sicard and Wyckoff streets.

The victim was affiliated with Rutgers, and reported that while walking on Senior Street toward Sicard Street he was approached by a male perpetrator who snatched an item of value from him and fled the area, according to the email. The victim then chased after the male and engaged him in a physical altercation in an effort to recover his property, but was subsequently assaulted by multiple males that came to the aid of the initial perpetrator. 

The perpetrators then fled the area down Senior Street toward Wyckoff Street, according to the email. The victim sustained minor injury and refused further medical attention at the scene.

The initial perpetrator was described as a Black male wearing a white t-shirt, blue jeans and white Adidas sneakers with slicked back brunette color hair, according to the report. No description of the subsequent perpetrators was included in the report.

NBPD said that anyone with information, or who may have been in the area at the time, can contact the NBPD Detective Bureau at 732-745-5217.

Students can find out more about RUPD and how to contact it at the station’s website.

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is a News Editor @ The Daily Targum.