March 25, 2019 | 44° F

Rutgers cancer research center appoints new chief of Breast Surgery

rwj-jeffrey-9-17

Earlier this year, RWJBarnabas Health and Rutgers launched a partnership to create a statewide academic health system. It is expected to invest more than $1 billion over the next two decades. 

The Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey named a new chief of Breast Surgery yesterday. 

Dr. Margaret Michele Blackwood will fulfill her new role and work alongside a team in the Stacy Goldstein Breast Cancer Center.

“Under Dr. Blackwood’s leadership I am confident that our surgical team will continue to be recognized as leaders who are on the forefront of treatment and research,” said Dr. H. Richard Alexander, chief surgical officer and chief of the Division of Surgical Oncology at Rutgers Cancer Institute. 

According to a press release, Blackwood is also the medical director and northern regional director of Breast Services for Robert Wood Johnson Barnabas Health. She earned her bachelor’s degree from Georgetown University and medical degree from the Medical University of South Carolina. Blackwood is also certified by the American Board of Surgery.

The new chief of Breast Surgery has published articles in medical journals such as "The Lancet" and "The Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery." She served on the Editorial Review Board for Women in "Medicine Journal" as well.

“Breast Cancer is a complex disease with multiple causes, types and treatment options. I ensure that my patients are provided with the necessary information about their diagnosis, their genetics and their treatment options so that together we can determine the most appropriate and successful treatment plan to fit their lifestyle and conquer their disease,” Blackwood said.

This move of naming a new chief of Breast Surgery follows the merging of RWJBarnabas Health and Rutgers. The partnership created the largest academic health care system in New Jersey, according to Rutgers Today. With this collaboration, RWJBarnabas Health works with the Rutgers Cancer Institute and Rutgers University Behavioral Health Care.

“Our new alliance will better enable us to educate the next generation of health care professionals and offer the top-tier health education and training necessary to provide health care in an ever-changing environment, developing one of the best academic health systems in the country,” said Brian L. Strom, the inaugural chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences.