Rutgers discloses reported rape incidents, drug arrests in annual Campus Security & Fire Safety Report

cop-car-r_9-7

The 2018 Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report includes data on various types of reported crimes and fires between 2015 and 2017. The report includes information for each Rutgers campus.

In 2017, Rutgers saw an increase in reported rape incidents, drug arrests and a decrease in reported hate crimes from the year 2016, according to its 2018 Annual Campus Security & Fire Safety Report released on Monday.

In the report are data and statistics ranging from reported crime incidents and fires between 2015 and 2017, to resources for students on campus.

"'Safety Matters’ is prepared annually by the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD),” said Chief of Rutgers Police Kenneth Cop in a message in the report. “The RUPD gathers statistics from various university departments at Rutgers and from the police agencies of the municipalities in which the University is located. This data collection process is designed to minimize multiple counting of the same criminal incidents and enforcement actions."

Below are some of the important facts and figures to come out of the report pertaining to Rutgers—New Brunswick.

Sexual Offenses

Ryan Stiesi

For sexual offenses, the data shows that there were 30 reported incidents of rape at Rutgers in 2017, seven more than the 23 reported in 2016. In 2015, there were 26 total reports.

There were 14 total reports of fondling in 2015, followed by eight reported instances in both 2016 and 2017.

One report of statutory rape occurred in 2015, followed by zero reports in 2016 and 2017, and there were zero reports of incest across all three years. 

VAWA Offenses

Ryan Stiesi

On March 7, 2013, former President Barack Obama signed the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013 (VAWA) which, among other provisions, amended the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), according to the report.

The Clery Act requires that University’s and other institutions of higher education comply with specific campus safety reporting requirements. 

Specifically, VAWA amended the Clery Act so that institutions had to report domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking, according to the report. It also mandated that these institutions include certain policies and procedures relating to these incidents in annual security and fire safety reports. 

Reported incidents of domestic violence decreased at Rutgers over the three years, from 114 in 2015, to 84 in 2016 and to 70 in 2017. Reports of stalking were at one in both 2015 and 2016, and increased to four in 2017. There were zero reports of dating violence across all three years.

Drug and Alcohol Related Arrests

Ryan Stiesi

The number of reported drug and alcohol arrests at Rutgers trended in opposite directions. Drug arrests went from 100 in 2015, to 172 in 2016 before reaching 271 arrests in 2017, according to the report. Meanwhile, there were 57 alcohol arrests in 2015, 38 in 2016 and zero in 2017. 

Hate Crime

The report also totaled the number of reported hate crime incidents at Rutgers over the three year time period.

In 2015, 11 incidents were reported, with one on-campus act of intimidation — motivated by religious bias — and 10 acts of criminal mischief and vandalism.

Of the 10 vandalism acts, three were reported to have been motivated by a racial bias, six by a religious bias and one by a sexual orientation bias, according to the report.

There were less reported in 2016, with the total of reported incidents being three. Two of the acts were reported to have been motivated by a sexual orientation bias, and one by a racial bias.

In 2017, two hate-crime acts of intimidation were reported, one motivated by a religious bias and the other by a national origin bias.

Fire and Property Damage

There were 11 reported incidents of arson over the three-year period, according to the report. One of those, located at Mettler Hall on the College Avenue campus in 2016 caused $2,000 worth of property damage, according to the report. Nobody was harmed or died in the fire.

The report also listed unintentional fires. An unintentional cooking fire in 2017 at the Sojourner Truth Apartments located on the College Avenue campus caused $45,000 in property damage, according to the report. Nobody was harmed or died in the fire.

In a message in the report, Rutgers President Robert L. Barchi addressed crime at the University.

“Campus safety and security at Rutgers is a shared responsibility," he said. "Although the vast majority of our students, faculty, staff, patients and visitors do not experience crime at Rutgers, the best protection against crime is an aware, informed, alert campus community that works with our highly visible and professionally trained public safety staff to keep Rutgers safe." 

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is a News Editor @ The Daily Targum.