October 19, 2018 | ° F

Rutgers suffers 1st loss of season to No. 10 Michigan

back-groothius-garrett
Photo by Garrett Steffe |

Over the weekend, the Rutgers field hockey team traveled to Ann Arbor to play a pair of games against No. 10 Michigan and Longwood. 

The No. 17 Scarlet Knights (6-1, 0-1) split the games, returning to Piscataway 1-1 after the road trip and 6-1 on the season. 

In the first game on Friday night, Rutgers suffered its first loss of the season at the hands of the Wolverines (5-3, 1-0), who beat the Knights 3-1. Sophomore midfielder Daphne Groothuis scored the lone goal for Rutgers on a fantastic individual take midway through the second half. 

Michigan scored its 1st goal off of an assist from Emma Way to Kathryn Peterson, and its 2nd goal off of a penalty corner that was tipped in by Sofia Southam. The Wolverines 3rd and final goal was also scored off a corner by Emma Way, her 8th goal of the season. 

The Knights were outshot by Michigan 16-5 in the game, a big reason for the loss. In eight career games against the Wolverines, Rutgers drops to 0-8 all time and are still searching for that elusive victory. 

Sophomore midfielder Kerrie Burns recorded her second straight defensive save in the game, while senior midfielder Nikki Profita had her first career defensive save. 

"We weren't able to execute tonight against a talented and tough Michigan team," said head coach Meredith Civico, according to scarletknights.com. "... I have every confidence in this team and I have no doubt they will learn from tonight and use this game to improve as the season progresses."

On Sunday, the Knights answered the call of their coach to rebound against Longwood, winning the game by a score of 5-0 and improving their record to 6-1 on the season. 

Rutgers scored early and often in this one, tallying 3 goals within a 4-minute span. Groothuis scored first, with a hard shot from the top of the arc. It was her team-leading 5th goal of the season. 

A mere minute after Groothuis’s goal, freshman forward Tayla Parkes scored her second career goal off of an assist from sophomore midfielder Gracey Butsack. 

Three minutes later, senior midfielder Linde van Schaik inserted a corner in to Groothuis, whose shot was blocked. The blocked shot was rebounded back out to van Schaik, who fired and scored for her 2nd goal of the season. 

In the second half, the Knights continued the offensive pressure, adding goals from sophomore forward Kassidy Shelter and sophomore midfielder Gianna Mancini. 

"It was a solid team performance against a hardworking Longwood team that has started the season really well. I'm happy we were able to bounce back after a disappointing game on Friday, score some good goals and put up a solid defensive display,” Civico said, according to scarletknights.com.

This weekend, Rutgers will look for its first conference win as it hosts two Big Ten opponents in Michigan State (3-5) and No. 22 Ohio State (4-4). 

“... We can now look forward to Michigan State and make sure we continue to improve," Civico said.

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Matthew Howe