From suede to stripes, U. students show off syllabus week trends

IB3-blackgirl-AlmierMcCoy
Photo by Almier McCoy |

Fashion refers to the trends we follow, but our style — the way we interpret and express those trends — is what really defines us. Style is what helps people distinguish themselves as individuals and helps us say things about our personalities that we can’t put into words. Rutgers is one of the most diverse schools in the nation, so it’s only natural to come across fashion-forward students with distinct styles of their own on a regular basis. During a particularly warm first week of school, we talked with some trendy passerbys on campus in between classes. Here are some highlights and trends that are sure to carry on throughout the semester.

Army Brat

It’s safe to say that military-inspired pieces will hold a timeless place in fashion and will never go out of style. Combat boots, camouflage trousers and patched-up military jackets are statement pieces that will make any otherwise simple outfit look edgy and eye-catching. You could either blend in traditionally with worn-out camo pants or take a more neutral route with an all-khaki or brown ensemble in true Yeezy style. Just incase you don’t have any of these hidden in your closet, stores such as Zara offer affordable looks. More a fan of authentic pieces? Local thrift stores and vintage shops usually have a wide variety of worn uniforms. 

Seen rocking a green officer-style button down, Eddie Gonzalez, a Mason Gross School of the Arts junior, gets his style inspiration from the military as well as the movies, naming the 60s and 70s as some of his favorite eras of fashion. “I’m a film major, so I guess you could say my style inspirations come from older actors like Robert Redford and Martin Sheen from the movie ‘Apocalypse Now’,” Gonzalez said. 

Soft in Suede

In 2017, brands such as Marc Jacobs, Gucci, Fendi, Prada and Mulberry showcased their take on looks from the 70s. Looks such as suede skirts, military pieces and a lot of neutral tones paired with vibrant patterns and colors. Come a year later, and these trends are still in full effect. In the 70s, everything in fashion was bigger and, quite frankly, better. From the voluminous hair and platform shoes to the over-the-top clothes, it’s no wonder that these pieces consistently return.  

Chontelle Brown-Williams, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, was spotted on College Avenue campus in burgundy suede shorts, made funky with a tribal-printed tank top for the end of the summer. Certainly vintage-inspired, Brown-Williams surprisingly scored the suede at H&M. Brown-Williams is a frequent fast fashion shopper, and in true millennial style, draws her inspiration from fashion-forward bloggers. “Tima, a celebrity blogger, has really cool style — it’s very unique with boho vibes,” Brown-Williams said.

The White Stripes

This classic, two-tone print makes any outfit pop without being too daring — it’s no wonder stripes have been a style staple for generations. Be bold and pair wide stripes with plaid and other fun small patterns to be subtly shocking. Designers like Carolina Herrera, who opted for a full on matching stripe set in her pre-fall 2018 collection, detailed with vibrant hues on an oversized sweater and a maxi length pleated knit skirt. If you’re on the more casual side for class, styling stripe pants with a band tee and a worn pair of Chuck Taylors is a great way to look cool yet comfortable. 

We caught Greer Egan, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore, on her way to class looking proper in prints. “My style came into fruition on my own, but I do have a lot of my grandmother’s and mother’s stuff,” Egan said. “I’m very drawn to stripes and polka dots.” 

Almier McCoy