WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | September 7, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 6.46.54 PM

UNLIMITED SWIPES

With the new Scarlet Plan, Rutgers students are no longer limited to a finite number of meal swipes per semester. The plan, which costs the same as the 285-swipe plan, gives students complete access and unlimited swipes at all Rutgers dining halls, in addition to 250 Dining Dollars to spend at other Rutgers Dining Services locations. What is great about this plan is that students no longer have to worry about budgeting their meal swipes or wasting a swipe when they only have time to run into the dining hall and grab, say, a banana. With all of that said, we laurel the implementation of the Scarlet Plan for helping to make students’ lives a little bit easier. 

PICK HIS PUNISHMENT

Late last May, Professor James Livingston posted a racially-charged message on Facebook in which he stated regarding a restaurant he went to for dinner, “the place is overrun with little Caucasian a**holes who know their parents will approve of anything they do,” and “OK, officially, I now hate white people,” which sparked a considerable amount of concern about his professionalism and fitness to teach at a school as inclusive as Rutgers. Originally, the Office of Employment Equity (OEE) conducted an investigation into the details of the situation to discover whether Livingston’s speech in this instance was protected by the First Amendment, and it was decided that his speech was not protected. Recently, though, University President Robert L. Barchi remanded the report on the investigation and called for a deeper analysis of the case. We dart the administration for hesitating to label Livingston’s speech as unacceptable for a professor. 

STRONG START

This past Saturday, the Rutgers football team won its first game of the season. While Texas State is by no means one of the tougher teams the squad will be squaring up against this season, a win on opening day is always promising. This is especially because it is Chris Ash’s first win on opening day here at Rutgers. True freshman Artur Sitkowski was able to show everyone what he has got up his sleeve, and what he showed us was promising. Hopefully, what we saw on Saturday will follow for the rest of the season, but we stand with the squad no matter what. We laurel the Rutgers football team for starting this season off strong. 

CONTINUOUS CRIME

In addition to simple theft and other somewhat petty crimes, there seems to be a frightening amount of more serious crimes in New Brunswick. Approximately a month ago there was a robbery at gunpoint on Dix Street between Hamilton Street and Central Avenue. A month before that there were reports of an aggravated sexual assault, and just a couple of days ago there was an aggravated assault on Easton Avenue. These incidents are, of course, nothing new here in New Brunswick, and by now many students are simply numb to the sight of crime alerts in their email. We dart the fact that Rutgers students are seemingly subject to a reasonable risk of being the victim of a serious crime. 

PRESERVING OUR PAST

Beginning in 2016, the New Jersey Digital Newspaper Project (NJDNP), which is a collaboration between Rutgers Libraries, the New Jersey State Archives and the New Jersey State Library, is working to digitize papers from three New Jersey news sources — the Bridgeton Pioneer, Jersey City News and the Perth Amboy Evening News. This summer the project received its second round of funding — $219,609 — thanks to the National Endowment of the Humanities, and it will use this money to move forward in keeping parts of New Jersey’s history alive for many years to come. We laurel this project and those involved for helping to preserve the Garden State’s rich past. 

COLOSSAL CLASS 

This year, Rutgers welcomed one of its largest ever classes of incoming students. At approximately 9,000 total for all three Rutgers campuses, the number is rather astounding. Of course, bringing new students to campus is always exciting, and each year our incoming students get more brilliant. But that being said, there are some implications to consider when a number of new students that size is introduced. The University could obviously use all of the money it can get from students’ tuitions, and in that sense bringing in more students, especially from out of state, could make sense. But when the lack of resources for a center like Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Program and Psychiatric Services (CAPS) are as glaring as they are even without the addition of all of those new students, an incoming class of this size is questionable. We are very excited for all of Rutgers’ new students, but we dart the complications regarding the allocation of resources that may come with such an increase.

___________________________________________________________________________________________