October 18, 2018 | ° F

Barchi emails students urging they vote this November

voting-flickr
Photo by Flickr |

Yesterday, University President Robert L. Barchi emailed members of the community, urging them to vote in the coming 2018 midterm election on Nov. 6. He listed places on campus where students and faculty who are registered in New Brunswick and Piscataway can vote.

University President Robert L. Barchi sent out an email yesterday urging students to vote in the upcoming 2018 midterm elections. He said he wants to improve the trend from the 1-in-5, 18 to 24-year-olds who typically participate in midterms to something closer to turnout in presidential elections. 

“One of the chief responsibilities of a public university is to produce engaged citizens — people who do not simply observe the world around them but actively work to make it better. A fundamental way for all of us to engage with the world is by participating in the political process. By voting,” Barchi said.

In this election cycle, every seat in the United States House of Representatives is up for re-election, and so are 33 U.S. Senate seats, including one here in New Jersey, according to the email. 

“No matter what your political views, elections matter — this year and every year," Barchi said. "If you want a say in who composes government and makes the decisions that affect our lives, then you must vote.” 

He said in order to vote, students must first register to vote as a U.S. citizen and be 18 years old by election day. Election day this year is Nov. 6. The deadline to register is Oct. 16, and residents can use their current address. 

If students would like to vote on campus, they must register with their current campus address, Barchi said. And, students who have registered to vote in the past and have moved since can also submit a new registration by the deadline. 

Anyone can access the voter registration form on the New Jersey Department of State website. For information about on-campus and off-campus mail-in ballots, go here

Completed voter registration forms can be dropped off at these locations until noon on Monday, Oct. 15:

Livingston: Livingston Student Center, New Student Orientation Office, 119

College Avenue: Rutgers Student Center, Office of the Vice Chancellor, 454A

Busch: Busch Student Center, Operations Office

Cook/Douglass: Eagleton Institute of Politics, 191 Ryders Lane

Brendan Brightman