April 25, 2019 | 66° F

Former Rutgers student sentenced 7 years for fatal DWI car crash

p4-studentdeathupdate-publicdomainpictures
Photo by Public Domain Photos |

Ashley Gergits, a former Rutgers student and 21-year-old from Edison, New Jersey, was arrested and charged following the Feb. 16 crash of her car. Authorities said she plead guilty on April 24 — admitting that she was driving while intoxicated during the incident.

Twenty-one-year-old Ashley Gergits, Edison-native and former Rutgers student, has been sentenced to serve seven years in a New Jersey State prison following a car crash that caused the death of one and injuries of two others while she was driving intoxicated on Route 27 near River Road on Feb. 16.

Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew C. Carey said Gergits must serve 85 percent of the seven-year term before she can be eligible for parole, according to the Prosecutor’s Office. The sentence was imposed in New Brunswick by Superior Court Judge Michael A. Toto, who said the defendant is subject to a 15-year loss of her driver’s license once she is released from state prison. 

Gergits was sentenced after she plead guilty on April 24 in accordance with a plea agreement to one count of vehicular homicide, two counts of assault by auto and driving while intoxicated. Authorities said that in pleading guilty, she admitted she was intoxicated when she crashed her 2015 Honda CRV.

NJ Advance Media reported that Gergits was a 20-year-old Rutgers University student when her vehicle crashed near the intersection of the Albany Street Bridge and River Road in Highland Park just before midnight on Feb. 16.

Gergits struck a bridge abutment, then bounced off and crashed into a 2012 Subaru Legacy, according to the Prosecutor’s Office. The crash resulted in the death of her friend, 21-year-old Jenna Adamousky of Edison, who was the front-seat passenger of Gergits’s vehicle. 

The two other passengers in her car, 20- and 21-year-old males of Highland Park, were taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick where they were treated for their injuries and released, authorities said. The driver of the Subaru was also taken to the hospital following the crash. 

NJ Advance Media reported that Adamousky worked at Ulta Beauty and studied cosmetology at Parisian Beauty Academy in Hackensack, according to her Facebook page.

The defendant was arrested and charged following an investigation by Patrolman David Soden of the Highland Park Police Department and Detective Donald Heck of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.​

Ryan Stiesi