July 21, 2019 | 79° F

'Protocol' phone service offers Rutgers students 24/7 access to counselors

caps-daily-targum-10-17

Students can call the CAPS main number at 848-932-7884 when CAPS is closed, and a voice message will prompt students to connect to the new Protocol service.

Rutgers students in a state of crisis or in urgent need of support can now talk to professionals around the clock through a new phone service called Protocol.

The new resource is offered through Rutgers Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Program & Psychiatric Services (CAPS), and is currently live and available to callers, said Steven Sohnle, associate director of CAPS.

To use it, students can call the CAPS main number at 848-932-7884 when it is closed and a voice message will prompt students to connect to the Protocol service.

“We saw a need to provide rapid responses to students in crisis in the evenings,” he said. 

Between CAPS office hours and Protocol, students now have access to a counselor 24/7, as when CAPS is closed students can access Protocol.

At a Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) meeting on Oct. 4, new Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Salvador Mena discussed this initiative, and work being done by the University to expand mental health services.

“Providing access to mental healthcare continues to be a challenge … every year we see more students coming in with more need for any number of different reasons, and so we certainly want to make sure that we’re providing as much access to mental health providers around the clock if we can,” Mena said. 

Ryan Stiesi