RUSA considers special event allocations for 10 student organizations

front-rusa-brendan
Photo by Brendan Brightman |

The Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) will vote to allocate $146,000 to 10 student organizations at its meeting next week. The money will go to “special events” that these clubs will be hosting in the spring semester. 

The Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) announced that it will vote to give 10 student organizations $146,000 in funding for special events in the Spring 2019 semester.

RUSA members presented their Special Events Allocation Bill Thursday night at its meeting. The largest proposed monetary allocation is for $21,200 going to Rutgers Dance Marathon for its spring Dance Marathon. TEDxRutgers was allocated $0 and the event and allocations for the Arab Cultural Club were marked as “N/A,” according to the proposal.

A vote will take place at the Assembly’s meeting next Thursday.

The allocations are as follows:

Association of Indians at Rutgers - AIR Show - $17,200
American Medical Student Association - Rutgers Pre-Health Conference - $11,200
Arab Cultural Club - N/A - N/A
Black Student Union - Unity Day - $15,200
Muslim Student Association - Islam Awareness Week - $15,200
Rutgers Dance Marathon - Dance Marathon - $21,200
Rutgers Esports - Scarlet Classic V - $18,200
Taiwanese American Student Association - TASA Nightmarket - $9,200
TEDxRutgers - TEDxRutgers - $0
TWESE - 28th Annual Fashion Show - $10,200
Undergraduate Student Alliance of Computer Scientists - HackRU Spring 2018 - $16,200
West Indian Student Organization - Caribbean Day - $12,200

Twelve student organizations were given 20 minutes to present their event to the RUSA Allocations Committee at an earlier date. 

Nick Pellitta, chair of the Allocations Committee and School of Arts and Sciences senior, said to receive funding an organization must show that the event has been a funded special event three times in the past five years, has received an academic or administrative department, has received co-sponsorship from seven other student organizations, requires more than $17,000 and expects more than 250 attendees.

If the event is happening for the first time, it must still meet the latter two requirements, Pellitta said. 

RUSA also voted on and passed The Allocations Surrogate Act unanimously. The act is intended to create a more efficient and transparent means of allocating funding to the more than 400 School of Arts and Sciences and General Interest organizations funded on campus, according to The Daily Targum.

The bill gives the Allocations Committee the ability to hire deputy allocation liaisons and deputy auditors, Pellitta said. 

“It allows for a lot of flexibility to Allocations,” said Nicholas Tharney, RUSA parliamentarian and Rutgers Business School junior. “Because they would be willing to decide what would be best to implement this and possibly change it, it creates a process to create more positions and fill those positions.”

Brendan Brightman