January 23, 2019 | ° F

No. 10 Rutgers outlasted by No. 23 Ohio State in 1st round of Big Ten Tournament

back-civico-jeff-10.18

For the second time this season, the Rutgers field hockey team lost to Ohio State in overtime. This loss hurts a little bit more, though.

The Scarlet Knights (13-5), the No. 5 seed in the Big Ten Tournament and No. 10 in the country, lost to the No. 4 seeded and No. 23 nationally ranked Buckeyes (12-7), on Sunday, 1-0. This is the second year in a row that Rutgers has lost in the quarterfinal round of the tournament. 

Much like the first game this season, Ohio State dominated in every offensive category. It led the Knights in shots, 20-6, shots on goal, 13-3, and penalty corners, 13-2. 

Rutgers sophomore goalkeeper Gianna Glatz had 11 saves, one shy of a career best. 

After a scoreless regulation, the game headed to overtime. After the first period of overtime ended scoreless as well, the game went in to the second overtime period. After two overtime periods the game goes in to a shootout. 

In the second overtime period, the Buckeyes scored the game winning goal on a shot by midfielder Esther Clotet. 

Offensively, the Knights were led by sophomore forward Daphne Groothuis who had two shots and one shot on goal. 

"We are obviously very disappointed with the result today. It is not what we wanted or expected,” said head coach Meredith Civico. “I thought Ohio State was a threat offensively, but our defensive unit played very well and once again Gianna Glatz was excellent in goal. We just did not create enough offensive opportunities.”

With the loss, Rutgers moves to 13-5 on the season. All five of its losses have come from ranked opponents, two of which are against Ohio State. 

So what’s next for the Knights? Rutgers will have to patiently wait until Nov. 4 at 10 p.m. for the NCAA Field Hockey selection show. It has put together an impressive season, but bowing out in the quarterfinals of the Big Tens have hurt its chances. 

Last season, all four teams who qualified for the Big Ten semifinals received bids for the NCAA Tournament. With the Big Ten being the one of the strongest field hockey conference in the country, it wouldn’t be shocking for the committee to select more than four Big Ten teams, and the Knights are certainly deserving enough. 

“I really hope our season isn't over,” Civico said. “Our team has worked really hard all season and I'd love for them to represent Rutgers in the NCAA Tournament."

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Matthew Howe