June 20, 2019 | 74° F

Rutgers goes 1-1 over weekend road trip

shelter-garrett-9-18
Photo by Garrett Steffe |

Another weekend is in the books for the Rutgers field hockey team, and for the third weekend in a row, the No. 17 Scarlet Knights came out of the weekend having gone 1-1. The 1-1 split moves their record to 8-3 on the season. 

For both games this weekend, Rutgers faced off against ranked opponents. On Friday, the Knights hosted No. 7 Penn State for their fourth ranked opponent in their last six games. 

After 70 minutes of play, the Nittany Lions escaped Piscataway with a hard fought 3-2 victory. After dominating the first half of play and taking a 2-0 lead into halftime, Rutgers made it a 2-1 game just 10 minutes into the second half. 

The Knights’ first goal of the game was scored by senior midfielder Nikki Profita, assisted by sophomore midfielder Gianna Mancini. The goal was Profita’s fourth of the season. 

“Even though this wasn’t the outcome we wanted, we’re going to learn from this,” Profita said. “We’re going to watch the tape and figure out what positives we can take away from this and what we need to do better going forward.” 

Penn State outshot Rutgers 22-12 in the contest, as well as taking six corners to the Knights’ three. 

After the Lions made it a 3-1 game in the 56th minute, Rutgers showed its fight by scoring off its second corner of the game. Profita fired a shot that was saved by Penn State's goalkeeper, but junior backfielder Emily Howarth was able to secure the rebound and score her first career goal. 

Now down 3-2, the Knights continued to apply pressure until the end of the game, much to the dismay of Lions head coach Charlene Morett, who was audibly annoyed with her team on the sideline. 

In the final two minutes of the game, Rutgers pulled sophomore goalkeeper Gianna Glatz, and brought on an extra attacker to try and tie the game. In the last minute of the game, the Knights were awarded a corner that they were unable to convert on, and the game ended. 

Glatz recorded a career high 12 saves in the game. Profita has earned four goals and two assists, which now give her 10 points on the season — good enough for third best on the team. 

“I thought we played hard, and applied pressure especially in the second half,” said head coach Meredith Civico after the game. “In the first half we weren’t executing our gameplan. The second half we played much better hockey, and really battled as a team. But at the end of the day we had a few costly mistakes and that’s why we lost.” 

After Friday’s loss, the team traveled to Newark, Delaware to take on the No. 19 Blue Hens (5-6). After quickly going down 1-0 in the first half, senior backfielder Linde van Schaik knotted the score at one off of a penalty corner. Sophomore forward Alanna Gollotto and sophomore midfielder Daphne Groothuis tallied the assist on the play. 

Tied at 1-1 going into the half, Rutgers quickly scored the go-ahead goal just two minutes into the second half. The goal was scored by sophomore midfielder Kassidy Shetler, her fourth of the season. 

In the last 5 minutes of the game, Delaware was persistent in trying to tie the game. Glatz came up huge, making three consecutive saves on three consecutive Blue Hens corners. The 2-1 victory was the Knights' third win against a ranked opponent this season.

"I thought the team played really well against a strong Delaware team. We executed the game plan and scored 2 great goals,” Civico said. 

Rutgers resumes action on Friday on the road against No. 3 Maryland, who is currently undefeated at 12-0 on the season. 

This will surely be the Knights’ biggest test to date.

“It was a fantastic response to our last match and now we can look to take this momentum into Friday's game against Maryland," Civico said.

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Matthew Howe