Rutgers ranks for Black student inclusivity

diversity-rutgers-ru.edu
Photo by Rutgers.edu |

More than 500 public institutions were graded in the study, with the average equity index score being 2.02 and Rutgers—Newark receiving a 3.25. Overall, New Jersey ranked at 9 out of the 50 states.

New Jersey was ranked ninth in the country, tied with Idaho and Utah, in measuring "representation equity" among Black students enrolled in public colleges and universities, according to a recent US News & World Report ranking. 

The ranking took its data from a study released by the Race and Equity Center at the University of Southern California. Approximately 15 percent of 18-24 year olds are Black citizens in the United States, but only 9.8 percent comprise the full-time undergraduate population at the nation's public colleges, according to the study.

The study used four indicators to make its report: representation, gender and completion equity, along with the ratio of Black students to Black faculty members.

Rutgers University—Newark had the highest equity index score in New Jersey, according to a grade point average assigned to each college and university, the study stated. A grade of "A" receives 4 points, while a grade of "F" receives 0 points. More than 500 public institutions were graded, with the average equity index score a 2.02 and Rutgers—Newark receiving a 3.25.

Catherine Nguyen

Catherine Nguyen is a School of Arts and Science first-year. She is a staff writer @ The Daily Targum.