February 23, 2019 | 41° F

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | October 12, 2018

screen-shot-2017-11-09-at-8-55-44-pm

END VIOLENCE

This week is the annual Turn the Campus Purple week, which is a campaign organized by the Office of Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance (VPVA) to spread awareness about interpersonal violence. Turn the Campus Purple is part of the larger Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Multiple events were scheduled to be held during the past few days that addressed these issues, such as the Clothesline Project held at Voorhees Mall on the College Avenue campus, and a human trafficking presentation by a FBI victim specialist. We laurel the VPVA and the other organizers of this campaign for their extremely important work. 

LSAT CHANGES

As of July 2019, select test makers will issue an online version of the Law School Admission Test (LSAT), according to a press release from the Law School Admission Council (LSAC). The new LSAT will be taken on a tablet preloaded with software developed by LSAC that includes features intended to benefit test takers and their schools such as faster reporting of score. With the shift from paper-and-pencil to tablet comes potentially problematic multipliers of disparity in law school enrollment. Low-income students who have no experience with using tablets are at an inherent disadvantage to those with the resources necessary to access the technology. This shift will only exacerbate the disparity between those who have the financial means to enroll in tutoring and prep courses. We dart any effort to technologically advance standardized tests without a cohesive effort to address the inequality already existent in testing. 

FREE RIDES

Next month, the midterm elections will be taking place. Often times as a result of financial barriers, people have difficulty getting to voting stations. Uber and Lyft, though, are offering free and discounted rides on Nov. 6. Organizations such as Vote.org and TurboVote will also help give away codes for 50 percent off rides on the Lyft app. These initiatives will help people who come from underserved communities, who have historically had difficult times making it to voting stations, and for that we laurel Uber and Lyft. 

MOLD ISSUE

A mold infestation at the Rutgers Psychology Department building on Busch campus was recently discovered and, according to The Daily Targum, the issue of mold in the building has been problematic for more than a decade. While the University is being reactive to the problem, we dart the lack of noticeable proactive measures to address mold and inspect Rutgers’ buildings for mold.

NEW SPACE

Some of Rutgers’ most exciting new projects and programs have been moved to a new space in Downtown New Brunswick on Spring Street. Such projects include research on Tourette’s syndrome, studies regarding the underlying factors that go into nicotine addiction and a study regarding language processing in people with autism. Also included in the center is a video conferencing room, where students will be able to join in on courses offered by other Big Ten schools without having to leave campus. We laurel the University for utilizing this space that will help Rutgers grow as a university. 

EXCESSIVE FORCE

New Jersey Police Officer Sterling Wheaten has been arrested for his role in a June 2013 arrest that left David Castellani man with 200 stitches after a brutal attack by the officer's K-9, according to NJ Advance Media. Wheaten was indicted on charges that he deprived Castellani of his civil rights and falsified records. After Castellani was subdued and in handcuffs, Wheaten arrived on the scene, exited his vehicle with his K-9 and released the dog without cause or provocation. The dog mauled the back of Castellani's head, his neck and his chest, as the officers, including Wheaten, punched and kicked Castellani. While we consider Wheaten’s arrest to be a good thing, we dart the fact that Wheaten had 23 excessive force complaints in seven years against him without facing repercussions.

___________________________________________________________________