Return to Flower Power: 70s fashion back in vogue

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 6.44.30 PM
Photo by Instagram |

As one of the most timeless eras, 70s fashion is consuming yet another fall season. It’s no surprise that the 70s styles have remained prominent in this day, and there’s something charming about incorporating the old with the new. The 70s era was founded on self-expression and freedom, which serves as a reminder that the modern-day pressures to fit in are, to put it frankly, overrated. 

As grounded and earthy as the 70s looks appear to be, there definitely are trends that appeal to the highly selective. For those who aim for a sleek and high-end street style, shearling coats are a must have for the season. The fur on shearling coats add the perfect textural effects, especially because the fur is typically accented on the neck and shoulder areas, with cuffs at the wrist. It takes what would have been a simple coat to the next level, and embodies all the characteristics of a 70s throwback piece. 

Speaking in terms of high fashion, Dior, Loewe and Prada are examples just scratching the surface of shows that featured shearling coats in 2018 New York Fashion Week. Speaking realistically for Rutgers students, Macy’s, Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdale's are all carriers of shearling coats at affordable prices, created by an array of designers who work closely with high fashion, including Ralph Lauren and Michael Kors. 

Flare is hands down the most telling 70s look to exist, and the trending “fun” jeans are no exception. Flare jeans have emerged as the ultimate Fall 2018 trend, especially among college-aged crowds. Bell-bottom jeans, distressed patchwork jeans and frayed bottom jeans are major trends, partly because of their versatility, but mainly because they scream 70s vibes. “Fun” jeans are statement-makers and draw eyes across an entire outfit, encouraging the concept of looking at ensembles as a whole. 

Belts embellish flare jeans — in fact it is a pairing that has been on the rise. Thick, buckle belts have become staple pieces in and of themselves, and have proven their worth as the must-have 70s accessory of the season. “Fun” jeans can be seen on the legs of workers in an office on casual Fridays, friends enjoying a night at the bar or shoppers walking with purpose in stores while running errands. The flare theme has also expanded to shirts and sweaters in the form of flare sleeves. Free People, Urban Outfitters, Forever 21 and Express are all successfully reintroducing and upholding their own versions of 70s fashion trends. The flare has no trouble adding its own “flair” to Fall 2018 outfits.

Textures of the 70s era have resurrected most commonly in layering. Suede and corduroy are trends that the younger generations have adopted as jackets, overalls and vests. Suede and faux suede jackets and vests are functional in keeping the trendsetters in them warm, and it's a look that has been favored in recent years. Corduroy overalls and turtlenecks are a timeless combo, but corduroy has taken the form of skirts and pants more than ever  before. Madewell and American Eagle feature corduroy bottoms as essentials for the season, and there is a strong textural appeal to the look and feel of corduroy. There has been a strengthened desire to experiment texturally, especially when the weather permits layering and combining more than one look. 

Popular culture promotes 70s style and influences the trend to return to fashion roots. TV shows such as “That ‘70s Show” and “This is Us” create a time warp effect for modern audiences, and the authenticity of that exact era inspires trendsetters to channel their own indivduality, which comes to life through fashion.

Sophia Colitti