Barchi reappoints, praises Chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences

Inaugural Chancellor Brian Strom of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences has reappointed to another five-year term. University President Robert L. Barchi in a letter praised the work he has been doing at the as head of the organization.  – Photo by Photo by Rutgers.edu | The Daily Targum

University President Robert L. Barchi announced yesterday that he has reappointed Brian Strom, the inaugural Chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS), to a second five-year term effective Nov. 1.

In 2013, 7 of 8 former University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ) schools merged to become part of the Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences. Strom would be appointed to serve for five years as its first chancellor prior to his reappointment yesterday.

In the letter, Barchi praised the chancellor's work and said that he has helped form a strategic plan to position RBHS as one of the best academic health centers in the nation, with signature programs in areas such as cancer, neuroscience and infection.

Barchi also said Strom has worked to appoint deans and recruited to Rutgers eminent leaders in cancer research, translational science, global health and behavioral health care, among others.

“Equally important, Dr. Strom has led the formation of Rutgers Health, bringing together all of Rutgers’ clinical care programs to create a single brand for all our health care services,” the president said. “Within Rutgers Health is an integrated multi-specialty faculty practice of nearly 1,000 practitioners that provides exceptional health care in clinical settings across the state.” 

Barchi said that this past July, Strom was also a leader in establishing the new partnership between Rutgers and RWJBarnabas Health to create New Jersey’s largest and most comprehensive academic health system. The partnership, designed to expand academic and research programs in RBHS, has the potential to change the way people are taken care of and how health care professionals are educated.

The Daily Targum reported earlier this semester that the partnership did receive criticism from members of the faculty union concerned that it is a step toward privatization that could squeeze the clinical staff in an attempt to make a better bottom line and marginalize at-risk groups.

Barchi concluded the letter by congratulating the chancellor and wishing him success in continuing his job.

“Brian Strom has provided vision and extraordinary leadership in advancing RBHS and Rutgers Health, and we can be proud of his record of accomplishment over the past five years,” Barchi said in the letter.