Fast fashion meets high-end in limited collaborations

Photo by Instagram |

Thanks to platforms such as Instagram, the desire to own expensive products has never been more prevalent. Unfortunately, most of us can't spend $500 or more on a pair of designer shoes or handbags. Luckily, with the help of retailers like H&M and Uniqlo collaborating with luxury fashion brands, including Alexander Wang and LaQuan Smith, affording designer items has never been easier for those on a budget. 

Uniqlo and Alexander Wang Collaboration 

If you’re familiar with American fashion designer Alexander Wang, then you're aware that this isn’t his first rodeo: he has previously collaborated with brands such as H&M and Adidas. Wang presents a label that embodies an edgy, simplistically chic and downtown style that is sure to vamp up anyone’s look. The Uniqlo and Alexander Wang collaboration became available online and in-store on Nov. 8 in the U.S., and in 20 countries and regions worldwide on Nov. 9. According to Uniqlo’s website, Wang re-envisions the brand's LifeWear by offering consumers a new series of garments using HEATTECH, a fabric used to "enhance the body with style, warmth and ease."

The collection, available for men and women, has a total of 16 items. It includes briefs and boxers for men, bras and bikini shorts for women and long-sleeve crew necks for both. According to Uniqlo’s press release, the collection has a range of colors from classic black to neon green. The best part about this collection is that prices are super affordable, with items ranging from $15 to $60.  

ASOS Design x LaQuan Smith collection 

In recent years, American fashion designer LaQuan Smith has certainly been making his presence known. His outfits have been worn by a numerous celebrities, including Rihanna, Beyoncé and Cardi B. The collaboration is currently available to the public, ranging from $30 to $315. It includes plus-size menswear, womenswear, footwear and accessories. The collection consists of latex-like materials, faux fur maxi coats, fishnet pieces and 90s style low-rise trousers to name a few. 

Halpern x Topshop 

In August, Topshop’s Global Design Director Anthony Cuthbertson announced that the brand would be collaborating with British fashion designer Michael Halpern. In an interview with British Vogue, Cuthbertson said, “Our capsule embodies the disco spirit and signature feminine silhouettes (Halpern) is renowned for ... we can’t wait to bring the world of Halpern to Topshop with styles that will no doubt kick-start the partywear season for our customers.”

The Topshop x Halpern collection, which was released Nov. 7, has 27 pieces including neon velvet separates, printed two pieces, sequin-adorned jumpsuits and iridescent camouflage print mini dresses according to British Vogue. The prices range from $65 for the bodysuits to $250 for the sequin dresses and jumpsuits.

H&M x Moschino 

Since their first collaboration with German designer Karl Lagerfeld, H&M has worked with some of the biggest fashion brands in the world, such as Stella McCartney, Roberto Cavalli, Versace, Balmain and now Moschino. In October, Creative Director of Moschino Jeremy Scott unveiled the H&M x Moschino collection at Pier 36 in New York, N.Y. The collection, featuring models such as Gigi and Bella Hadid, includes pieces inspired by the likes of Barbie, McDonald’s and Bugs Bunny. It's currently available online and in-store. With affordable prices ranging from $35 to $400, you may want to get your items now before they sell out. 

These collections are just a few examples of the marriage between high fashion and fast fashion. If you want the prestige without the price point, these collaborations may end your journey for the perfect fit. 

Almier McCoy