March 23, 2019 | 42° F

Rutgers charity works to end growing global water crisis

uni-waterrutgers2-facebook
Photo by Facebook |

Charity: Water Rutgers is the first collegiate chapter of Charity Waters — an organization that supports clean water initiatives around the world, with more than 30,000 projects in more than 28 countries.

A new Rutgers club is setting its sights on helping communities by providing water for impoverished people  

Water Rutgers aims to solve the water crisis affecting people around the world by providing better access to education and medicine to those living in impoverished countries, according to the group’s Facebook page.

It is the very first collegiate chapter of Charity: Water — an organization that supports clean water initiatives, with more than 30,000 projects in more than 28 countries. As of now, the organization has approximately 15 student members, with the expectation that it will grow in the upcoming years through the club’s involvement on campus, said Bishoy Said, a School of Engineering junior.

Said is the general director of the club and is responsible for raising the organization’s on-campus profile and the causes it supports. He has been involved with the club for the past year and is eager to get more people to join. 

“Our goal is basically to fundraise and bring awareness to these problems and try to make a difference. We allow Rutgers students to be more involved in the world and spread even more awareness themselves,” he said. 

Water Rutgers’ main function is not only to bring clean water for those who cannot access it but to build a livable environment around it. Students at Rutgers now have the opportunity to help those who live in impoverished nations by bringing them water and helping develop an ecosystem, as well as a socioeconomic system, that provides for people in the long term, Said stated. 

“Without water, you don't really have anything. There's no economic stability, no health care or even schools,” he said. “All of the important social structures will collapse if there is a lack of clean water, and that is what we are really fighting for. Not only for clean water, but a better way of life.”

Said added that Water Rutgers is a great organization for any eager Rutgers student who wants to make a seismic difference in the world. He said that it is a club for anyone who wants to be a major part of the evolving world and contribute to the health and well-being of millions of people overseas. 

“The objective of the chapter was to try to spread this initiative on a more local level with younger people,” Said added. “So we want to see if we can bring that enthusiasm over here to Rutgers and even the entire city of New Brunswick.”

Water Rutgers recently held an event with Oats, a public health club in New Brunswick. The club cosponsored a Halloween theme trivia night in order to destress students preparing for exams and spread awareness of the club at Rutgers, Said stated. The club is also planning to hold a "Water Day" where multiple organizations that support clean water initiatives in the local area will meet for a networking event with activities.

The other reason Said believes that people should become a part of Water Rutgers is that it is a nonprofit — every dollar donated to the charity goes directly to the cause.

Said added that the club is holding a water gala on Nov. 15 which will include guest speakers and trivia-style games to inform people in attendance about the water crisis overseas and how to combat it. The club will also hold informational sessions, including a showing of informative movies and documentaries in The Yard @ College Avenue. 

“It really is just the wonderful people involved with this charity, both on a global scale and here at Rutgers, that makes it worth the time and energy. We offer a really unique opportunity to any student who sees the general good in people, and we are always welcoming of new members," Said stated.

Jacob Turchi