January 23, 2019 | ° F

Rutgers plans new cafe, food truck for College Avenue campus

Front.Mealswipes.Flickr
Photo by Flickr |

The planned taco truck will alternate between campuses and join a cafe in the west wing of the Rutgers Academic Building as new meal-swipe options on the College Avenue campus. 

Rutgers Dining Services has plans to bring a cafe and new food truck to the College Avenue campus by Fall 2019, in an effort to increase the number of meal-swipe options available to Rutgers students.

Nick Emanuel, director of Operations for Rutgers Dining Services, said the new cafe will be in the west wing of the Rutgers Academic Building, and will be similar to Kilmer’s Market where customers can order and customize sandwiches at a kiosk. 

Meal swipes, RUExpress, cash and credit will all be accepted once the new location opens, he said in an email to The Daily Targum.

“Dining options for meal plan students on College Ave are limited,” he said. “Given the amount of traffic on College Ave and the number of students using the facility on a daily basis, we felt the Academic Building would be the most convenient location for students to get something to eat either before or after class.”

The new food truck will also make its way on campus in Fall 2019.

Emanuel said it will alternate between the College Avenue, Busch, Livingston, Cook and Douglass campuses similar to the Knight Wagon and Starbucks truck schedule. It will serve a “diverse” taco menu.

The Targum reported that at a Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) meeting in early October, a representative from Rutgers Dining Services discussed plans to increase meal-swipe options on campus following a student question.

The new cafe is also convenient for the large number of students living at the Yard and Honors College, Emanuel said.

“With the addition of students living on College Ave via the Yard and the Honors College, the current options for many students with meal sipes are limited to Brower Commons and the Knight Wagon/Starbucks Truck (sic). This option also provides some convenience for students who live in close proximity to the new cafe,” he said in an email.

Ryan Stiesi

Ryan Stiesi is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies and minoring in entrepreneurship. He is a News Editor @ The Daily Targum.