Rutgers president honors those who served in Veterans Day email

front-barchi-declan-02.18
Photo by Declan Intindola |

University President Robert L. Barchi highlighted in an all-student email yesterday the 100th anniversary of the signing of the armistice that ended World War I. On Veterans Day, he said Rutgers should honor all those who have served in the armed forces.

To commemorate Veterans Day, University President Robert L. Barchi sent out an email yesterday calling on the Rutgers community to appreciate the service of the country’s veterans. 

"We take time today to honor all those who served our nation in the armed forces," Barchi said. Yesterday also marked the 100th anniversary of the signing of the armistice that ended World War I, where more than 830 members of the Rutgers community served and 21 paid the supreme sacrifice. 

Service during World War I continued an honorable Rutgers tradition that dates back to the Revolutionary War and continues today, he said. The University is fortunate to count among its student body and alumni network many who have served and who are currently serving in the armed forces.

“We are deeply committed to honoring that service,” Barchi said. 

Through Rutgers’ Office of Veteran and Military Programs and Services as well as offices on each of the campuses in Camden, Newark and New Brunswick, the University works hard to support its veterans and those on active duty, he said. He knows how critical it is to help servicemen and women make their transition to civilian life and make it possible for them to advance in their studies here at Rutgers. 

Barchi mentioned that last month, the Military Times ranked Rutgers as third best among all four-year colleges in their “Best for Vets” survey. This is the seventh year in a row the University has ranked among the top five in the nation. 

He also referred to the Rutgers University Behavioral Health Care's Vets4Warriors, a confidential, peer-to-peer counseling program that has more than 300,000 contacts from veterans across the country. The program has helped veterans dealing with problems such as depression, anxiety, isolation and suicidal thoughts. 

“Today, tomorrow and every day, Rutgers takes pride in the men and women who have made the commitment to serve our nation, and have done so with courage and honor,” Barchi said. “To all the veterans among us, I offer you and your loved ones our thanks, our enduring admiration and our best wishes on this milestone Veterans Day.”

Brendan Brightman

Brendan Brightman is a School of Arts and Sciences junior double majoring in political science and English. He is a contributing writer @The Daily Targum.